butterkoferi trouble

brigri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
VT
I have a 13" butterkoferi that I put in my show tank with a gar, an oscar,and a pike. I was worried so I put in a tank with my nasty jag. Bad idea I guess it wasnt as nasty as I thought. Now all the jags scales on its underbody are ripped off and fins are torn Anyone know how long it will take for the jag to recover if at all?

CichlidFiend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2007
hes gone, i had a jag before i had my butti, and i added the butti thinking they would either be best friends or the tilapia was meeting the fryer soon, the butti mudered the jag, and used his skull as a toy? idk if you can call it that. add salt, raise temp and adding O2 will be the best chance for him but his chances are slim, butti's go for the kill always

brigri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
VT
I guess I took him out in time but she still looks rough.

brigri

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
VT
butti is in his own 180 actually with a crayfish healthy and happy now

rocky2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2010
india
dont worry jag will recover they are hardy just keep her alone raise the temp add little salt and try and reduce stress for her also keep the lights out all will befine wid in days

Stramn

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2011
Michigan
I keep an 11" female butti in a cichlid community... She only starts **** with my 12" Male Red Devil

Halmotors

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
Sutton, NH
Had an 11" Butter do that to a 16" male Jaguar who was, up to this point, one of the meanest fish I'd ever seen, to the point where we had to put a screen over his tank to prevent him from jumping out of the tank and falling on the floor when customers walked by the tank (he was trying to murder them, I'm sure of it). The Butter annihilated him.

Clift

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Newfoundland, Canada
Had an 11" Butter do that to a 16" male Jaguar who was, up to this point, one of the meanest fish I'd ever seen, to the point where we had to put a screen over his tank to prevent him from jumping out of the tank and falling on the floor when customers walked by the tank (he was trying to murder them, I'm sure of it). The Butter annihilated him.
I have never encountered a more aggressive Cichlid in my life. I heard a guy at my lfs talking about how S.A cichlids were the be all end all of aggressive cichlids... I had to inform him that although there was a lot of truth in his statement, there are exceptions to that rule ;)

TheHolyArachnid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
Spiderweb
Never under estimate a buttikoferi. They are easily the strongest cichlids out there. They have so much power. My old male was fighting with a red devil and the butti slammed him into a rock, the rock fell right on the devil. The devils hump was slit open. Luckily the devil survived.

Think twice before buying a butti.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store