Buttikofferi

Dilema

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2011
Everywhere & Nowere
Would it be possible to keep a Butti in a 180g with something like a midas/red devil or a flowerhorn ? Maybe a couple of convicts. Or am i just wasting my time even thinking about it lol.

Has anyone here, successfully kept them with other large cichlids in a tank of this size ?

Thanks,

Larz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2007
ATL
Buttikoferi do fine with other fish until they reach around 5-6". After that it's a gamble; even in a 180. If you want to do a pair in a 180, that should work.

crash83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
Houston,Tx
Man i have kept singles up to 10" in a 180 before but even when i was breeding them i could only keep them together long enough for them to spawn or they tried to kill each other.

NSKIRK559

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
CA
I have Buttikofferi in my 240g mixed with Jag, female dovii, #3 Red head Vieja and 2 Red devils and Midas. No fighting and I have had this setup for a year and still going!!!

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
The buttikofferi, umbrifera, dovii, auratus, and crabro are on my top 5 list of aggressive cichlids. Finding suitable tankmantes for them is a problem. But all fish are not created aggressively equal. You may find individuals who get along with other fish. You never know unless you try. Many times fish that have been together since they were juveniles, get along better than adding mixed adult fish to a tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store