Buying a 315g acrylic tank...got Q's

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
I just put down a deposit on a used 315 gallon tank. It is 39" tall. It has 3/4" acryclic on all the sides and 1/2" on the top and bottom. Top was reinforced with 3/4" strips of acrylic. Anyone see any potnetial problems with bowing?

The seams are all in great shape--clean and clear. There is small chip in one edge on the top piece and a some sort of chip in the middle of the top piece where it has been reinforced. I don't think these should be much of an issue.

Lastly, whoever owned/made the tank glued a really thin acrylic black backing to the sides and the back panel. Is there any way to remove these or am I stuck?

tank 1.jpg

tank 2.jpg

tank 3.jpg

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I see only one.....the size of the PITA it is gonna be to clean a tank that tall LOL, GL..nice tank BTW. As long as it is braced when using 3/4 inch that should be fine.

treldib

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
mustang93svt;4877220; said:
3rd picture is that almost cleavage...? oops sorry to derail. carry on...
:grinno:

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
If it is cleavage, then it belongs to a nice-looking 23 year old asian girl!

In regards to the height, have a 48" tall tank already and I've mastered cleaning with a magnet, tongs, and algae scraper.

Any know if there is a way to take off the thin black acrylic sheet or am I SOL?

Clay

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2005
Chantilly, Va
It depends on how it was attached. With a proper acrylic solvent, you are indeed SOL. If it was any other means, it can be removed and buffed back to original.

I would prefer to see 1" thickness on a tank this tall to combat deflection, but I am assuming that 3/4 will work. I would want to see the tank filled before paying for it, simply because you want to know if it leaks. Acrylic repair is just another step you would have to make to get it back to usable condition.

From the looks of it, seems like a nice tank. Good luck!

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
Thanks Clay, I am wondering if 3/4" will deflect. Most 36" tanks are built from 3/4" so I am hoping the extra 3" won't add too much stress. I know that the tank will need some minor repairs and certainly a thurough cleaning!

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
so I show up with three other guys today, we move the tank away from the wall.....the entire rear bottom corner is chipped off! I point it out to the girl and ask for my deposit back and right away she gives it to me. F-ing bullscat. What a waste of time

Soggy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Seattle
That's to bad, it looked like an awesome tank. Thank goodness it was a problem you could see instead of one you find after it turns your house into a soggy mess. Good thing it wasn't me buying it , I would have had myself whipped into such a frenzy that I would have talked myself into trying to fix it and bought it anyway.

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
nice p/u... but that looks like an odd dimensioned tank. as stated , it will be a PITA to clean the bottom or reach it for any maintenance. GL :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store