California bans SeaWorld from breeding Orca

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Yes natural is obviously better but I am not aware of it having been done in captivity with orcas, whales don't really breed well in captivity just as some of the fish we keep don't either. Some animals just need specific environments and/or environmental ques.

I don't doubt a lot of bulls do it the natural way but many do it the other way too. No I don't think it's a fun job, I wouldn't want to do it. I saw how it's done with a bull then inserted to the female, I'll pass on that with any animal.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Yes natural is obviously better but I am not aware of it having been done in captivity with orcas, whales don't really breed well in captivity just as some of the fish we keep don't either. Some animals just need specific environments and/or environmental ques.

I don't doubt a lot of bulls do it the natural way but many do it the other way too. No I don't think it's a fun job, I wouldn't want to do it. I saw how it's done with a bull then inserted to the female, I'll pass on that with any animal.
So all that money and research done, can they tell me why their fin is down?

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
I had high hope that Ash Ash had the answer. Must be a busy lady

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
The tag option is nice, I am very busy twins and work keeps one pretty occupied.

I don't have an answer as my understanding there's still arguments going on over it. Its seen in the wild but rarely and not as much as in captivity. Some research points to genetics and using the same male for breeding. It could be cause for gravity taking over when one is at the surface more often (like a captive) or something else, I don't really know. I never looked into it. I don't keep up on all of their research. I know when I worked for the company there were people that were doing research on an endangered bird but I dont know details on it or who all was involved. I haven't worked for them in a very long time.

If your really interested just go to Google scientific journal area and look up stuff. I am not an expert on any of it and I don't keep tabs on it.

I also didn't specifically state SeaWorld spends money (because i dont know anything on their finances) I said people spend money on research because of connections made at facilities like this.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
The tag option is nice, I am very busy twins and work keeps one pretty occupied.

I don't have an answer as my understanding there's still arguments going on over it. Its seen in the wild but rarely and not as much as in captivity. Some research points to genetics and using the same male for breeding. It could be cause for gravity taking over when one is at the surface more often (like a captive) or something else, I don't really know. I never looked into it. I don't keep up on all of their research. I know when I worked for the company there were people that were doing research on an endangered bird but I dont know details on it or who all was involved. I haven't worked for them in a very long time.

If your really interested just go to Google scientific journal area and look up stuff. I am not an expert on any of it and I don't keep tabs on it.

I also didn't specifically state SeaWorld spends money (because i dont know anything on their finances) I said people spend money on research because of connections made at facilities like this.
Relax, you're still OUR expert. I just didn't want to waddle through theories found online. Thought you might have some info about it.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Sorry if it came across like that, it wasn't my intention. Those are the theories I know. Many go with genetics from using the same breeding male, but I don't think enough research has been done to prove muh.

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
SeaWorld and those circuses with elephants are just pure evil. there should be a ban on captivity of marine mammals and elephants

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store