calling all fishkeepers in MI

DanGeo23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I'm from Lansing.. living in Indianapolis for the time being.. IMHO the best LFS around Lansing is Preuss .. lots of selection FW/SW and just about any other critter you could imagine.. staff always seems real knowledgeable..

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
I live in Holland MI and the lfs around here is VI Pets , its not alot better then the local petco as far as stocking FW/SW. I have a 75 up and runnning with 5 JDs, 2 BP, 2 senegals, 1 Raphael striped cat. My 92g corner tank just blew its seals last month and i had to sell 2 13" oscars and one FW moray eel that was easily 26-28".

Chaddush

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Michigan
I live in Mt. Pleasant, MI. The lfs I go to is Club Green Tropicals (or something like that). Owners a nice guy, decent variety but it's a tiny store.
The other stores I like are Preuss in Lansing, biggest fish store I've ever seen. Lots of variety, lots of hardware. Staff is pretty good with info too.
Fantasic Fins in Lavonia looks crappy from the outside but it's a great store. Knowledgable staff.

I currently have 2 tanks going.
55 gal: 5 discus, 3 rams, 4 bristles and a 10ish rummies. (Planted, Daily water changes going into a 75, 3d background in a few months.
90 gal: Green Terror, 2 Dempseys, Livingstoni, dwarf pike, royal pleco.

My brother has a 50 gal breeder with a few polka dot loachs and 3 ebjd's. Probably going to sell 2 of the jacks when they get a bit bigger.

sashimimaster

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
MI
I'm in Rochester. Have two Scombs, and a few other misc fish in a 150g. Trying to breed convicts with no luck. Have had 3 RT Cudas, Silver Aro, Clown knife, BG Knife, 2 ATF all RIP.

I drive down to Fantastic Fins in Plymouth once in a while but otherwise Kee's. Have gotten stuff from TFD and just heard of a wholesaler in Auburn Hills recently. But they only sell to retailers.

jeffrom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Michigan
White Lake, MI

Have kept tons of different fish but currently only have a 90 gallon with plants and shrimp.

Best live stock store in Michigan is clearly Fantastic Fins in Livonia. Highland Tropical in White lake is also a good store.

RedBellyRhen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Michigan
Little town called Ortonville between Davison and Clarkston 30 min drive north to Flint 1 hour drive south to Detroit, 35g 2 baby red belly piranhas, and my fav LFS is Moby Dicks off sashabaw near Dixie Highway

pi-eyed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Kalamazoo Mi... I have several tanks up and running. my fish range from fresh water eels to pacu and a variety of central and south american cichlids including piranhas.
Best lfs in kalamazoo sadly closed down a while back....Really miss deep sea aquariums.

mybrainsfreud

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2009
Michigan
sashimimaster;4026414; said:
I'm in Rochester. Have two Scombs, and a few other misc fish in a 150g. Trying to breed convicts with no luck. Have had 3 RT Cudas, Silver Aro, Clown knife, BG Knife, 2 ATF all RIP.

I drive down to Fantastic Fins in Plymouth once in a while but otherwise Kee's. Have gotten stuff from TFD and just heard of a wholesaler in Auburn Hills recently. But they only sell to retailers.
no luck with cons huh? i am new to cons and seriously just randomly paired a couple up. bought a handful of fry from lfs. they all got picked off but one. Got another the same size. looked like male to begin with til i brought it home then she started coloring up. then got a pink from another lfs and threw him in and voila! he started chasing away other female and paired up with 1st female. they've mated and successfully had 3 batches of fry within a little under 3 months now. go figure.

back to the topic at hand. Oceans and Seas on gratiot south of I-696. Cool staff, always got some oddball stock in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store