Calling all Frontosa keepers

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sounds about right.
Quick follow up - what have you traditionally done with lighting for frontosa displays? I’m reading online that they come from relatively deep waters in Lake Tanganyika, and so some places even recommend a low-level marine light to simulate the depth and colour striation of their natural environment.

Would that be an appropriate decision, or do you think that would result in a crazy amount of algae growth?

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Quick follow up - what have you traditionally done with lighting for frontosa displays? I’m reading online that they come from relatively deep waters in Lake Tanganyika, and so some places even recommend a low-level marine light to simulate the depth and colour striation of their natural environment.

Would that be an appropriate decision, or do you think that would result in a crazy amount of algae growth?
Not sure about algae but I dislike what marine lights do to freshwater fish. What I was doing for fronts (and it's carried over since) was to have a good freshwater light with a slightly cool spectrum bulb and sized smaller than the tank (I did a 4 ft light on a 6 ft tank), making the tank brighter in the middle and darker at the ends. In recent years I've converted to LED lights, which do a nice job bringing out blue and other colors without the weirdo glow or as much distortion as a marine light, and on most of them you can dial the lights up or down to taste and on many you can adjust which color emitters are on. Thing is there are a lot of options, some are better than others, and I'm not an expert on them.

I had one that I had to turn off the reds, because with them on fish color was off and it was growing black beard algae, something I'd never had before. So far I like this basic model better than others I've tried, the color spectrum is reasonable and I don't care about programming my lights. But I've seen tanks with more expensive and really beautiful lighting, though I couldn't tell what they had. Basically I'm fine with a light that brings out colors the fish actually have, but I don't like distorted, overly exaggerated color. Seeing the best version of my tank and fish is one thing, but I'm turned off by photos of fish with cartoon colors they don't have in real life and white or beige sand that looks blue, lol.

There's a fairly significant difference in color between gibberosa and frontosa, gibberosa (like moba) are usually much more blue. Typical C. frontosa (often called Burundi frontosa) tend to have some blue in their fins as juveniles, then lose a lot of it to become mostly black and white adults.

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
There's a fairly significant difference in color between gibberosa and frontosa, gibberosa (like moba) are usually much more blue. Typical C. frontosa (often called Burundi frontosa) tend to have some blue in their fins as juveniles, then lose a lot of it to become mostly black and whiteadults.
That’s good to know. I’m going to try and get gibberosa, actually - there are a few places here in Canada that maintain a breeding population. The price, though, is a lot - so I’m really trying to make sure I’ve got the perfect setup before introducing the fish.

Again, thanks for all of the help. Sorry for the flood of questions.

Reactions: neutrino

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
That’s good to know. I’m going to try and get gibberosa, actually - there are a few places here in Canada that maintain a breeding population. The price, though, is a lot - so I’m really trying to make sure I’ve got the perfect setup before introducing the fish.

Again, thanks for all of the help. Sorry for the flood of questions.
No problem. Not sure of prices in Canada, but if you don't mind waiting a bit longer for them to grow, they normally cost a good bit less at 2-3 inches vs. 6.

Reactions: Caperguy99

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
Hey Neutrino, are Gibberosa harder to breed than Frontosa, I had F1 Mobas that I let the seller sex them were meant to be 1M 4F but turned-out 3M 2F, anyway they spawned once and spat so I gave up.

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I kept things pretty simple. I don't have frontosas at present but have had on three occasions. These were wild caught Kapampa in a 135 gallon that never did spawn for me. I have had mpimbwe on two separate occasions in both a 135 and a 180 gallon tank. One group was wild caught, the other not. Both groups had spawnings.
DSC_3138.JPG

Caperguy99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
Not always, but they definitely can be.
Hey neutrino neutrino -

I’ve been quietly accumulating gear and am aiming to have the full setup ready to go by the Fall.

In terms of care for C. frontosa and C. gibberosa, what do you recommend for water changes? I know some of the old salts who keep Central Americans swear by 2 weekly water changes - a 60% and a 40%.

Would these Africans benefit from a similar schedule? Or what did your usual care regime look like?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store