can (2) 36in Fluval planted lights adequately light a 180g

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I'm trying to find lights for my 180g tank ( 72inx24inx24). The LFS told me two 36inch Fluval 3.0 LED planted lights would provide me with "lots of plant growth" and that the lights last for years. Could someone please clarify if that's the case? I thought that I would need more than (2) 36-inch lights to light the depth of a 180g. However, I am newish to plants. I have kept low-light plants alive such as crypts and amazon sword, but with algae growth. I am looking for a light that will provide ample lighting for low-light and moderate-light plants such as crinums plants. The goal is to do an African biome. The LFS also told me they do not sell T5 ballasts because the market is phasing them out. Is there any truth to this? Another option I was thinking of was buying 4 to 6 sunblaster t5s and daisy chain them together in the canopy. Any advice, knowledge, or recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I don’t think just those two lights would be adequate due to the depth of the tank. I have a Fluval 24 inch plant light on my 150. I have it positioned directly above my plants in that tank and it works for just the rear portion of the tank. It does not extend all the way front to back. I also have two 70 inch regular LED lights as the primary lighting. Wh

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store