Can anybody help. My Datnoids won't take pellet.

comptechnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2023
Can anybody tell why giving him feeder is bad? Is it bad luck? Lolz. He only take one small pieces of frozen prawn per day or every 2 day, but drop 20 feeder in the tank; He love it. I try to fatten his up but don't want to feed him with feeder. I notice he's very energetic and color tend to stable when there's alot of feeder in the tank
How long can I starve him before he going to die. My datnoid is 6 inches and with 2 discus tank mate in a 100 gallon tank. In addition his color won't stable and he like to stay in the corner for hours. I change the water 40% every week. Should I buy more datnoid to keep him company, so he won't feel lonely. How many should I buy? How to make grow faster? Should I upgrade my tank to 180 + or frequently more water change. I saw him chase one of the discus around.. Is he bored or just being a bully? Lolz

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Dats are obligate carnivores, predators. They eat live food.

I do not believe in converting dats to pellets.

You do have to be careful with feeders. Goldfish and live bearers are full of fat and thiaminase, which will slowly kill your dat.

The best diet, IMO, is tilapia - void of parasites - and ghost shrimp.

Dats do not need to feed every day. 100 gallons is not big enough. Change water often.

Reactions: dr exum

comptechnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2023
Dats are obligate carnivores, predators. They eat live food.

I do not believe in converting dats to pellets.

You do have to be careful with feeders. Goldfish and live bearers are full of fat and thiaminase, which will slowly kill your dat.

The best diet, IMO, is tilapia - void of parasites - and ghost shrimp.

Dats do not need to feed every day. 100 gallons is not big enough. Change water often.
How big of tank should I need? Maybe 180g or 200g. Frozen tilapia should work right?

comptechnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2023
How big of tank should I need? Maybe 180g or 200g. Frozen tilapia should work right? Feeding time period is every other day or 3 times a week. Is pounding more food will make him grow fast? Or often change water make him grow faster? Thanks

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Mine were fed tilapia and shrimp but once they got in pellets, they grew much faster. However, some dats are stubborn and never get onto pellets.

comptechnet

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2023
Mine were fed tilapia and shrimp but once they got in pellets, they grew much faster. However, some dats are stubborn and never get onto pellets.

GREAT. My datnoid is 6" long and how long I should strave him for till he don't die from starve. Lolz. What brand and size of pellet should I feed him? Can you let me know which brand is the good or best. Thanks

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes like the NTT/thinbar dats,they are probably the most stubborn when it comes to pellet training.....it sounds like this fellow has an Indo.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I wouldn’t starve them…that never worked for me. I would just keep feeding mine their favorite foods (shrimp and tilapia) and get them eating aggressively so they attack the food as soon as it hits the water. Then I start throwing in pellets along with shrimp/tilapia. Eventually, they’ll grab a pellet or two during the frenzy and will learn to eat it. This worked best for me but I’ve also had plenty of dats that are too damn stubborn

gourami guru

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2017
Typically a datnoid that wants to eat pellets will just eat them. Keep them with fish that eat pellets that seems to help. Other than that if they don't eat them I do not starve them. I tend to start my dats with feeders, than get them on cut tilapia and shrimp (easier than pellets). When they want to eat pellets they will. If you are having trouble getting your dat on cut shrimp try tying fishing line to a thin piece and making it dance, tends to get them interested.

mjjavelosa

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2018
just try to get them hungry.. if still not eating pellets after a week, give some chopped tilapia..
then keep it hungry again and introduce pellets. maybe extend depending on how much tilapia they ate you can extend it for 2 weeks then try pellet again.. best to give massivore or carnivore pellet for growth

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store