Can anyone help me make sense of city water tests ?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Edited post for more info, sorry.

Looks about normal for chlorine. You can age water for 24 hours with an airstone/power head directed at the surface, or use a product to neutralize it, dosing for 2ppm (less if you use a test kit, and know the actual levels.)

Also, there are several other reports, if that's not for your area I can dig through those.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Edited post for more info, sorry.

Looks about normal for chlorine. You can age water for 24 hours with an airstone/power head directed at the surface, or use a product to neutralize it, dosing for 2ppm (less if you use a test kit, and know the actual levels.)

Also, there are several other reports, if that's not for your area I can dig through those.
That is for my area.

Much appreciated. Do you have any idea to how big I would need a carbon filter to run a drip system to remove the posted ppm of chlorine in my water?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
To my understanding its not the size, I think it is about how many gallons you run through the carbon block, so it will depend how much you drip. My 2 are rated for 1000 gallones each, so if I drip 75gpd i just do the math, I'm happy to stretch it a bit because with a slow drip plus aeration it's not the worst thing in the world, chloramine sucks though, thankfully I don't have any here. I replace them every 2-3 months as convenient really.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Dave is right. Size will determine how frequently they need changed, and how quickly water can run through them.

Sort out how many gallons per day you'd like to drip, and contact these guys for help with the correct setup.
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/
Also, half way down this page is a couple of chlorine removal systems.
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_systems.htm

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
That is for my area.

Much appreciated. Do you have any idea to how big I would need a carbon filter to run a drip system to remove the posted ppm of chlorine in my water?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The chlorine you see listed for a water treatment facility does not mean the amount you have in your water at your house. The amount of chlorine dissipates as it travels through the system so you can't look at a plant reading and conclude the amount that is in someone's house.

In addition, the amount of chlorine varies from time to time throughout the year as the facility determines what is needed.

As I understand it, facilities are supposed to calculate the minimum amount needed to maintain the minimum level of chlorine for homes throughout it's coverage area, so all things being equal, it will be much higher for some homes than others based upon how chlorine travels in the pipes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store