Can anyone ID this fish?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So a juvenile sturgeon kept in 26C water? It was very active.
.....interesting,I came across another post in which another member mentioned keeping a few species in quite warm water.

Reactions: RyanScanner

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've certainly always thought of them as strictly coldwater fish but I've since learned that there are quite a few different species which have different requirements and tolerances.....back when there were plenty of pet and aquarium stores throughout the city,most sturgeon that were available were always kept in the goldfish and koi display tanks.

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Definitely a sturgeon, but come on now, thats not good enough for MFK, people.

I can say with some confidence this is a russian sturgeon. Other candidates are starry sturgeon or sterlet sturgeon, but the scute arrangement does not appear sterlet to me. The kicker: even though we cant see the snout (best way to differentiate sturgeon), i can see its shadow which appears blunt and short, definitely not long and thin like a starry.

Could be some lesser known primarily freshwater species, maybe sakhalin, im certainly no expert, but i would put my money on a subadult russian sturgeon aka ossetra.
Considering this is South Korea and the fact that the scutes are not visibly distinct in color from the surrounding skin it's almost guaranteed to be a Siberian sturgeon (Acipenser baerii).

To address the temperature discussion; all sturgeons require significant amount of oxygen which is why most species thrive in colder temperatures (cold water = more DO). There is a nice paper that goes into depth how hypoxia is a bigger threat to sturgeons compared to other fish species: http://hdl.handle.net/1834/20789 but AFAIK there is no study that specific pins down what biological process(es) requires so much oxygen in all sturgeon species.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Considering this is South Korea and the fact that the scutes are not visibly distinct in color from the surrounding skin it's almost guaranteed to be a Siberian sturgeon (Acipenser baerii).

To address the temperature discussion; all sturgeons require significant amount of oxygen which is why most species thrive in colder temperatures (cold water = more DO). There is a nice paper that goes into depth how hypoxia is a bigger threat to sturgeons compared to other fish species: http://hdl.handle.net/1834/20789 but AFAIK there is no study that specific pins down what biological process(es) requires so much oxygen in all sturgeon species.
Longnose sturgeon?

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
Longnose sturgeon?
It's a "common name" that the fish is sometimes sold as but it's not a good identifier as there are other sturgeon species who also are given that common name due to having noses as longer or longer than Siberian sturgeons.

South Korea farms a lot of Siberian sturgeons for caviar + the color matches the species. AFAIK only Siberian sturgeon have a consistent similarity of skin + scute color as they age and the scutes grow larger.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
It's a "common name" that the fish is sometimes sold as but it's not a good identifier as there are other sturgeon species who also are given that common name due to having noses as longer or longer than Siberian sturgeons.

South Korea farms a lot of Siberian sturgeons for caviar + the color matches the species. AFAIK only Siberian sturgeon have a consistent similarity of skin + scute color as they age and the scutes grow larger.
I would consider it more likely to be a siberian hybrid, maybe a fish farm reject, the snout is in no way typical of a longnose though. Im just not seeing what youre seeing with the scutes, they visibly stand out/are much different shade imo. We cant rely on the location since its in a tank with african cichlids and catfish imo. I think color very unreliable considering this is a subadult and obviously habitating in the higher end of its tolerance for temp.

But yeah, probably not a russian either like i thought.

RyanScanner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2024
I would consider it more likely to be a siberian hybrid, maybe a fish farm reject, the snout is in no way typical of a longnose though. Im just not seeing what youre seeing with the scutes, they visibly stand out/are much different shade imo. We cant rely on the location since its in a tank with african cichlids and catfish imo. I think color very unreliable considering this is a subadult and obviously habitating in the higher end of its tolerance for temp.

But yeah, probably not a russian either like i thought.
Yeah it was in an aquarium cafe in the LOTTE Department store in Seoul, they had dozens of aquariums set up and nothing was biotope specific.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store