Can anyone ID this lizard?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
To my untrained eye it looks like a Mediterranean house gecko (Hemidactylus turcicus) but I could be wrong , I do know it does look like a species of gecko.
Yeah it’s definitely a gecko, I thought the same. I’m in North Carolina near the mountains. I knew I had never seen a gecko in my whole life here.
But a quick search came up with the same as you.
Turns out they are an invasive here. Never knew they could survive Our winters.

Reactions: tlindsey

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Yeah it’s definitely a gecko, I thought the same. I’m in North Carolina near the mountains. I knew I had never seen a gecko in my whole life here.
You’d be surprised by how resilient some species are, especially invasives. They are literally super powered or something lmaoo. I’ve also seen that species of gecko a few times down here but for the most part I see just common house geckos and a ton of brown anoles lol.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting,what do you intend to do with it?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
MatteoTheEnder22 MatteoTheEnder22
Yeah we have tons of skink and fence lizards but never seen a gecko. My first thought was escaped pet, but this is a little guy 2 inch at best so they must be a breeder somewhere.

Last edited:

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Interesting,what do you intend to do with it?
No plan yet. I’m at work.
May set up something for it. May see if a friend wants it.
I’m hesitant to just release it.
It was found in a box of trash probably hunting some of the silver fish and roaches we got running around here.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
MatteoTheEnder22 MatteoTheEnder22
Yeah we have tons of skink and fence lizards but never seen a gecko. My first thought was escaped pet, but this is a little guy 2 inch at best so they must be a breeder somewhere.
There’s more than likely a population in your area and it came from there, but regardless geckos for the most part are nocturnal so they may have been lurking in the shadows this whole time and you just didn’t notice em.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store