Can Discus and Angelfish Work Together in the Same Tank?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! I've heard a few opinions on this, but I wonder if it is doable in a 55-gallon tank. Would this work?

3 Discus, 3 Angelfish, 4 Brochis Corys, and 1 Striped Raphael Catfish.

I know Angelfish and Discus come from the same area, so I'm figuring this would work. But my other concern is, can the brochis Corys and the Raphael live with the high temp waters of Discus and angels?

Thank you for your help!

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Yeah, I had discus and wild altums and corydoras. Healthy discus don't need to be in high temp. Only for grow outs u want high temp. I set my temp at 80 everyone happy

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
While I think angels and discus are good together, I think I would rather try that on a tank that isn't so small. To me, 55 gallons is pushing it. So would this be better?

5 Discus, 7 Buenos Aires Tetras, and 2 Striped Raphael Catfish (in total, 14 fish).

Last edited:
Reactions: Caveden

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Whilst they can live together I prefer one or the other. If I keep discus I want them to be the main fish and most dominant and find Angels can be a bit higher in the pecking order
I totally agree. I think angels and discus can get along, but I think if I were to do that, I would need a much larger tank.

I think I've figured out what I want to do. I think this is the safest option, and I get what I want:

5 Discus and 2 Striped Raphael catfish.

My mom is gawking over the discus and she would be very happy to have 5 discus.

Reactions: AR1

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I have three other questions,

1. I've heard a lot of different opinions on water changes for discus and wonder what is the best course? Some hardcore Discus keepers say 90% every day. Many people say daily water changes. And others say at least twice weekly. What is the best course? Also, I do have a busy schedule, so I can't be doing 90% water changes daily, and I can't do water changes every day.

2. I highly favor my striped Raphael catfish, and I'm wondering what the maximum temp he can handle is. I want to cater to the warm temps of the discus while, at the same time, I want my raph to be happy. I've done some research, and most websites say around 80, but others say 86. What is the good middle ground?

Finally, 3. What plants can thrive in sand and warm water? My mom thinks I should have live plants instead of fake ones, and I've not been super successful with plants before.

Last edited:
Reactions: AR1

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Back in my discus days I often kept them with angelfish and other fish, including Raphael cats-- no corys, though, I had them as a kid and for me they were/are a been there, done that fish. Didn't know at the time recommended temps are a bit lower for the Raphael cats (seems to be up to 80) and I might not do it now without a little more research, but for me they were healthy, grew well, etc.

I never did daily water changes with discus (I did large water changes once or twice a week, depending on the setup), but I kept them in minimum 75 gal tanks with substrate and plants, didn't overfeed them, never fed beef heart, didn't have to medicate and deworm every so often like some people do, and over the course of raising several different groups I grew out nice, healthy beauties, some easily over 8 inches, and some of these would boss or co-boss tanks including Mesonauta and large angelfish. The more experienced I became with them the more I found discus to be robust fish if you get healthy strains and keep them sensibly. The only ones I'd have trouble with were emaciated wilds I'd buy to try to save them. I strongly believe it's the way some keep and feed them that requires fanatical water changes.

One thing I did find true that can affect stocking with discus is they can bicker with each other, especially while feeding, and there's less of it in larger groups, bigger tanks. Sometimes a smaller group will harass and stress a low status individual, not always ime but it can happen... it also seemed to be less when the discus weren't the dominant, or the only dominant, fish in the tank.

On a similar note, i didn't find my discus couldn't compete for food with other fish (like some people say), mine figured it out just fine. :)

Last edited:

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I used to do 50% twice a week and a water change every day when they bred and I had fry

I kept them fine this way and adopt the same regime all these years later with my big predators

My fish dont really get sick

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store