Can I build a plywood tank? PLEASE HELP

flyinggogo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2012
omaha ne
If you are worried about your skills maybe try a smaller scale tank that you'll have less costs and time into

Not to get off topic or steal a thread but at what point does it not make sense to build the plywood tank? I've read that anything smaller than 264 gallons and you should just buy the tank because they are mass produced at those sizes.

Dave

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
yeah, i would say see how well you do with a smaller project then move up from there

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
Flyinggogo there are many blanket statements like that out there however every situation is different. In some locations anything over 125G are scarce w/o having to fork out alot. Also depends if you already have materials on hand or can at least source them cheaply. For example my tank in progress is going to be under 180G but i already had pretty much everything except my sealer. Wood, screws leftover from other projects and my glass was free :) anywhoo planning for most efficient use of materials will help if you're having to purchase everything.

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
Flyinggogo there are many blanket statements like that out there however every situation is different. In some locations anything over 125G are scarce w/o having to fork out alot. Also depends if you already have materials on hand or can at least source them cheaply. For example my tank in progress is going to be under 180G but i already had pretty much everything except my sealer. Wood, screws leftover from other projects and my glass was free :) anywhoo planning for most efficient use of materials will help if you're having to purchase everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store