Can I do anything to help my gar

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Very impressive to come back like this !
On the first picture he looked almost dead.
I hope he is going to make it.

in_the_seance

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2012
montana
Very impressive to come back like this !
On the first picture he looked almost dead.
I hope he is going to make it.
One tough SOB! I thought he was knocking on deaths door 24 hours ago.

Doing 24 hour 100% wc. wound has started to heal a little, slowly closing.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Good news looks like it will pull through. Add some methylene blue to facilitate healing. Don't use oil. Salt is fine. You can add MB to the water and put some directly on the wound. Neomycin would work too if no MB around.

in_the_seance

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2012
montana
Good news looks like it will pull through. Add some methylene blue to facilitate healing. Don't use oil. Salt is fine. You can add MB to the water and put some directly on the wound. Neomycin would work too if no MB around.
Any idea on a dose? I've heard gars are sensitive to meds. Is methylene blue the best choice?

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
I wouldnt use any medicine .
Just good water quallity, a little bit of salt/temperature up and maybe some of tropical-almond leafs.
He is not sick, just a natural healing process.
Only my 2 cents

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
great, i thought he was a gonna last time i popped my head in this thread... aquanero is the mfk fish doctor, take his advice... wouldnt an antibiotic be a good idea with a wound like that??

in_the_seance

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2012
montana
I wouldnt use any medicine .
Just good water quallity, a little bit of salt/temperature up and maybe some of tropical-almond leafs.
He is not sick, just a natural healing process.
Only my 2 cents
Au natural was my plan if he has issues though in healing ie fungus/infection I would like to have a medicine as backup

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Methylene blue will not harm the fish. It will increase blood oxygen content, facilitate healing and prevent fungal infections. Neomycin is also an effective antibiotic for this type of wound, it can be purchased as neoplex by seachem to add to the water or as the same OTC triple antibiotic ointment we use on our cuts put directly on the wound. I wouldn't tell you this if it would hurt the fish. The arrow may have introduced bacteria into the wound and you may not see an internal infection until it's too late, an ounce of prevention. Otherwise keep the water as clean as possible and continue with the salt.

I'm just giving advice based on the title of the thread.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Just shows you how tough these fish are....good luck man at this rate he'll be back in no time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store