Can I get an opinion on my seams plz?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Tank looks good to me. My 180 has worse seams than that and it has held just fine. Heck, I think my 300 was pretty rough as well. As far as I know, it is still holding and is 15+ years old.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Beautiful, I think I have enough of a consensus, going to forgo the weld-on repair for now and buy a new pump and expand my plumbing instead, then time to start looking for more rays. Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

One final question, mainly so next time someone else asks I can help them out with an answer:

If you look at pic 2 and 3 you can see a white almost bubbling. It is distinctly different than the spiderweb crazing, in pic 2 you can see it coming from the front panel and across half of the left side panel. I feel like in some places where I have these algae is able to get into them, which led me to believe it is seam separation but I believe last time someone advised me that it is condensation trapped within small cracks, which of course had me worried about water getting into it and separating it further. It is only ever a thin line, and most times it is right along the edge of the seam but in some instances it is not, it seems to start in the middle. Is this the beginning stages of the "milky white" seam separation that you don't really have to start worrying about until it expands past half the thickness of the panel? I would guess yes, but if that is the case that white line in pic 2 is getting awfully close to the outer edge of the tank, we are talking a mm. If this expanded to the edge of the tank am I correct in assuming that would mean leak? Or is this just crazing as well and just takes a different visual appearance when condensation gets in there? They expand extremely slowly if at all in some places, however the one in pic 3 has definitely expanded over the course of the last year, I keep a close eye on that one and pic 2.

Thanks.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Anyone have an idea?

Just for curiosity sake, I have heard that a lot of acrylic leaks are slow leaks as opposed to total failures, anyone have an opinion on that?

I've already decided not to do the repair thanks to most peoples advice, this stuff is just for my own knowledge.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Hey bro. Just take your time and reinforce it. You have great stock. You're smart and can research to do as good of a job as anyone. This will protect your investment and make you comfortable while you are asleep and away from the home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store