can i pellet train a gar?

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
My 1 ate cichlid gold from the start and I was told the same thing about them only eating live, also about the size, I got mine thinking nothing in the trade was bigger than the RTC then somebody showed me a size graph of the most popular monster fish and the RTC looked like a minnow compared to this! They even outgrow arapaima from what i'v been told...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
They can certainly be trained to eat pellets.

I agree with the other posters in this thread; a FLG would be much easier to house.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
People argue that this is one of the biggest freshwater fish in the world. So you're probably better off not getting it if you aren't already aware of/prepared for this fact.
x2 one of those answers.. if you have to ask.. you probably shouldn't be trying to keep one. while imo they are easy keepers.. they are not for the average hobbyist... and xa billion on suggesting a florida gar instead if you want a gar. I love my floridas... I atm own 6 gar... not a 1 is a gator... because I simply can't house one. I have a TSN and RTC hybrid... I'm more confident about houseing long-term then I would a gator gar. They are also extreamely aggressive and tank-mates are considered potential food always... that being said.. most don't get over 4' in captivity.. idk where people get 7' or more.. they can get close to 11' in the wild though.

eNCy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2013
Kalibo
Yes according to my readings you can pellet train them. Sadly I dont own one so I have no experience yet. but soon I'll be acquiring one. nyayaya

Estarego8

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
New Jersey
I own a 13 inch gator gar right now. He eats hikari monster sticks and massivore :) was easy to pellet train. They just get lazy like a floating sausage after being used to feeding. Mine will actually stick his snout out of the water when he wants food. They are like giant children lmao always complaining about something

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I agree with some other say that you shouldn't get this fish since you don't have the experience to keep it. Go with something smaller like a Florida gar!
My 1 ate cichlid gold from the start and I was told the same thing about them only eating live, also about the size, I got mine thinking nothing in the trade was bigger than the RTC then somebody showed me a size graph of the most popular monster fish and the RTC looked like a minnow compared to this! They even outgrow arapaima from what i'v been told...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
out grow arapima? in the wild, they might get bigger than 10ft after live for like 80 years. In captivity, the arapima will get to 6ft before the gar can get to 3ft with a normal feeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store