Can I put this Gar in with my oscars?

Isabell Dunham

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2007
British Columbia
So I have a bit of the circle of life happening...

In this tank there are full grown festivum cichlids, 1- 2" chocolate cichlid, 1-2" oscar,a baby sengalis, and 2 fruit tetras with this gar.
The festivums and the fruit tetras I'm just babysitting till my friend has finished moveing.

Well, I thought for sure it would go bad with the full grown festivums...
It turns out that the little oscar has a problem with the gar, it's a vicious circle really. He used to be the only one in there, till I brought the festivums and the tetras here. That was fine with him, and everyone got along fine. Then I brought home a chocolate cichlid. The oscar tried to be a bully, but the chocolate put him in his place. Last night we got the sengalis and the gar, I thought the festivums would try to get the new guys, so we were ready to part the fight if there was one, but the festivums swam up to him and couldn't really care less if he was there or not.
This morning, the oscar has been trying his best to pick on the gar...
It's funny, cause as soon as he goes after him, the festivum comes between them, then the choclate, chases the oscar down. I think this angers the oscar, cause he keeps on trying, and it keeps on snowballing on him.
I don't know if this will work out in the future, but when I ship all the others into the Big tank, I might keep the gars in the 100 gal tank and find something else to go in with them.
Would that tank be big enough for a couple of them?

biboybaka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
davao
i had two of them one got missing. tankmates are 3 oscars 2 clown knife, 1 ghost knife, 2 featherfin knife and a pangasius. it must have been the oscars...

predator fish jer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2022
100% don't put Oscars with a hujeta gar. my Oscar killed My hujeta gar 1 week ago. he harrased the poor fish making it jump out of the tank. I just want to say don't risk it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store