can I use sea coral in my tank???

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
You would probably have to "cure" it in freshwater. Usually when you buy live rock (I think you are reffering to live rock as "coral") you have to let it cure in saltwater without fish in it, because all of the organisms living in the pores of the rock will die and this can really mess with your water quality! This can take weeks or even months, and if you don't know how to do it, I would recommend looking through the saltwater forums for more info.

dudey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
us
fisher12889;3702974; said:
You would probably have to "cure" it in freshwater. Usually when you buy live rock (I think you are reffering to live rock as "coral") you have to let it cure in saltwater without fish in it, because all of the organisms living in the pores of the rock will die and this can really mess with your water quality! This can take weeks or even months, and if you don't know how to do it, I would recommend looking through the saltwater forums for more info.

when people talk about curing its referring to live rock. He is taking dead "rock" or coral from the beach that has been laying in the sun drying up all dead organism. I think just boiling it will take care of killing off anything else and it'll just be like adding a piece of slate or rock into a tank, it probably will raise ph as state but as far as "curing" it in the sense you are thinking, I don't think it will be a problem.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
If you want to put it in there, and don't want the problems of water chemsitry being altered, give it a few light coats of a thin epoxy, like west systems or mas. That will seal it up good, and you can't really see the epoxy, especially after a little algae growth.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
kzimmerman;3706407; said:
If you want to put it in there, and don't want the problems of water chemsitry being altered, give it a few light coats of a thin epoxy, like west systems or mas. That will seal it up good, and you can't really see the epoxy, especially after a little algae growth.
mmm I dunno about epoxy though, I think I will just boil it first then I try it in my spare tank with some feeders in it, maybe for week and see how it goes with it, but thanks for the input, some suggest that its a dead coral, and its true, those are the type of rocks/sea coral that I would use, I'll post some pics of those corals as soon as I get those. Besides I like free stuff, lol.
thanks again.

biboybaka

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
davao
i have those in my african cichlid tank. all i did was dry them in the sun for a couple of days. but im guessing its winter there so...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store