Can someone ID this tiny frog/toad??

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Hi,

I got a hold of a few of these tadpoles. Now one of them has turned into a frog/toad. These are native to southern California if that helps.The tadpoles were all black. The frog/toad is black with spots/patches on it. The size of it is about the size of your thumb nail, but not as wide. I wanna get it some food today. What foods do you think are good at this size? I was thinking pinhead sized crickets. What could you tell me about this frog/toad?? Adult size?? Thx

937_0506.JPG937_0503.JPG

937_0506.JPG

937_0503.JPG

Joe M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
North East
From what I'm seeing, it definitely appears to be a toad. I'm not familiar with toads/frogs native to california, so I can't really help with the species. Looks very similar to the American toads we have in the east.

Pinheads might work, but I really am not sure. What have you been feeding the tadpoles, and have they stopped eating that?

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Hi,

I was giving the tadpoles string algae, algae wafers, and blanched lettuce. I bought some small crickets and even feeder guppies, all are a little too big for the frog/toad. The smallest ones seem like the frog/toad might be able to eat them. So far the frog/toad seems uninterested though. Has not made an attempt to bite at it.

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
What food will the Toad accept at this size?? The crickets and feeder guppies are too big. Here is a few new pics I snapped today of the Toad:

937_0597.JPG937_0598.JPG

937_0597.JPG

937_0598.JPG

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
try pinhead crickets like was mentioned before

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Yeah the crickets I have are just slightly bigger than pinheads. That is all the LFS had. But there were a few small ones I thought the toad might eat. Guess no though, I over estimated the size of the Toads mouth. I am gonna head out again and see if I can find some pinheads. Any other food it will accept though? Would it eat live blackworms? Any type of frozen fish food?? Any small live insect other than pinhead crickets? BTW, I think this is the type of Toad I have:

http://www.californiaherps.com/frogs/pages/b.b.halophilus.html#description

Do you guys think that is correct??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store