can someone post pics of a gar fry???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquariumjunkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2007
Monroe, Wa
if only i had the money/time... oh well, i'll just have to wait on that. thanks for the info:)

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Mampam;1916491; said:
And for the record if you where ready for them you would at least know what they look like and know something of their natural history.

i couldnt find it on the internet, and i do no their natural history

i have my gars now anyway
Really ? I can find this article by my former mentors on the first page of a google search... Normal embryonic stages of the Longnosed gar: W. long W. Ballard 2001

How is that hard to find?

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Oddball;1917137; said:
FL gar (Lepisosteus platyrhincus) can reach 0ver 50 inches. It takes a minimum of 200 gals (with a WIDE footprint) to keep one such gar for life.
-not replying oddball just wanted to clarify something aboutcaptive gar max sizes. they only get above 50" in the wild, and they usually dont get past 20"(rough estimate) in the home aquaria though. there is no text book min size so the rule of thumb is that as long as it can live comfortably(turning wise/space avail)--gar need a nice and wide footpriint rather than height-- then it should be okay. another rough estimate min size is 6x2x2 for a long time, but eventually you might need a 3/4ft wide.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Really ? I can find this article by my former mentors on the first page of a google search... Normal embryonic stages of the Longnosed gar: W. long W. Ballard 2001

Sorry we all can't be scholars like yourself.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
shamrock;1925165; said:

Sorry we all can't be scholars like yourself.
actually you can...richard made it clear that this was a simple google search...or if you really want to be a scholar, do a google scholar search :) --
--solomon

ermgravy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
behind my iMac.... Southampton UK.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
Duh! LOL I know it's easy guys-but sometimes the way people word things is a little harsh-don't you think.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
shamrock;1925420; said:
Duh! LOL I know it's easy guys-but sometimes the way people word things is a little harsh-don't you think.
Since you feel to point me out... Exactly what have I written that is harsh???
I think I'm about the only one that actually offered assistance (with conditions) on this from the start.. It was not me that decided to burn the bridge of communication and exchange of information... I actually tried!!!!

You really can find that paper on the first page of a goggle search for Lepisosteus and larvae... It is not me that states "I couldn't find it on the internet" when it can be done in little under a few seconds.. For that matter try an image search under the same....

DING DING DING.... First Image is...

Freaking detailed descriptions follow this and are very useful to ID of any small gar species Lepisosteus and Atractosteus included...

Why you might ask not just post this (as well as other info) at the start of this thread?

This is simple... I'm not going to dish out info to an individual, that feels "expert turtle" experience and having a pond, along with an atrocious grasp of communication is worth it.. Information is really not free to the lazy and I'm not about to encourage the lazy to catch and subsequently kill an animal for the hell of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store