can you guys help me with my hybrid knowledge and potentially fill in the gaps?

cailenew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2023
so I've started compiling a google sheet to identify what these guys look like taken photos from here and there - mainly the big hybrid thread and other hybrid threads (i realise the jag x red terror photos wrong)
i just kind of want to use this as a basis for a dissertation so i need some feedback and assistance as to developing it further. my plan is to expand this and involve up to 4 photos for the phenotype for the hybrid as a pose to the singular ones i have thus far.
I've also added a link to the sheet at the bottom so you guys and gals can see what i have thus far as I'm also using it as a stockist too
1691833161786.png1691833194887.png

Reactions: Rakeboy and AsmK

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
I think it's a great little chart, very informative. My only issue with it is you have fish like parrots and flower horns being treated as "Inputs" into the hybrid table when I believe they should be categorized as outputs. Like Texax X Flowerhorn isn't too special, it just yields more flowerhorn. From a hobbyist perspective, the table is pretty good, but you can take it a step further and omit hybrids as inputs and replace them with the sum of their parts. I'd think the only problem with that is a lot of hybrids we have today just show up from fish farms, so it's up to us to guess the parents, so it would leave you with a lot of blank spaces. I hope what I said makes sense

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
The photo you have for Convict x Ivory Parrot is a Shortbody Honduran Redpoint. That is not an hybrid but rather has been selectively bred for body shape. Great chart!

cailenew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2023
thanks - I'll edit it and correct it i figured it was a polar blue parrot - cause it was posted as one but i do recognize the trait upon googling it https://www.reddit.com/r/Cichlid/comments/hbmfyx so I'll replace the photo and categorize that one differently (possibly in the hybrid table I'm most likely going to create now).

Last edited:

cailenew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2023
I'll most likely create a separate table if I'm honest for the hybrids. I agree 100% with the Texas x flowerhorn and flowerhorn X (Y) being flowerhorn so it makes sense to make two tables and have on on a separate sheet. ill be honest i created it more for trying to research fertility as well as the hybrid splendor side of it.

but for my breeding projects I am going to keep a 'family tree' just so if I sell any I can have traceability on traits for the new owners - kind of like how i did when i bred koi bettas, that being this individual is opaque at the present but his mother was a yellow samurai and his father was a candy cane betta with a plakat body.

Last edited:

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
thanks - I'll edit it and correct it i figured it was a polar blue parrot - cause it was posted as one but i do recognize the trait upon googling it https://www.reddit.com/r/Cichlid/comments/hbmfyx so I'll replace the photo and categorize that one differently (possibly in the hybrid table I'm most likely going to create now).
The name that’s being marketed, Polar blue parrot or convict can be confusing. It’s actually a short body Honduran Red Point. good luck with your dissertation

Jaxson_Beans

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2020
your Rainbow X FH images are wrong only one person has done rainbow x Flowerhorn
Some fhs are called rainbow but they dont have them in them

Reactions: cailenew
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store