Canister Filter Life Hacks.

KenisFishRoom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
When doing a water change, (TURN OFF THE WATER SUPPLY AND UNPLUG FILTER) remove the hoses from the top of the filter by flipping the switch, and insert it into a bucket. once removed, stick the entire part in the bucket and unscrew the hose going back to the tank. water will come out at first but will subside. next, put the hose of your python/water changer in place of the intake hose and insert it back into the filter. plug in the filter and turn on water supply and boom. you have a pump without buying a pump.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
When doing a water change, (TURN OFF THE WATER SUPPLY AND UNPLUG FILTER) remove the hoses from the top of the filter by flipping the switch, and insert it into a bucket. once removed, stick the entire part in the bucket and unscrew the hose going back to the tank. water will come out at first but will subside. next, put the hose of your python/water changer in place of the intake hose and insert it back into the filter. plug in the filter and turn on water supply and boom. you have a pump without buying a pump.
Hmmm I'm gonna need a pic or a video.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
If I understand this correctly, won't you be pumping untreated/chlorinated water right through your canister filter media?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
No sorry I made it unclear. your yousing it To drain your tank
For bigger tanks I feel like this might be a bit harder to make it worth the effort but I understand your idea. I do almost the same thing but with my leftover sump pump that way there’s hardly any work other then pulling it out of the sump

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Fx has a valve already in place to facilitate this without having to remove any existing hoses just close the return valve and open the valve at the bottom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store