canister filter questions

peteyg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2011
Oswego, IL
Will a canister filter help to sustain a healthier an cleaner aquarium over time than a HOB filter?

I'm running a AC110 on a 45 gal freshwater and am thinking of moving to a Fluval 406 if the fluvial will sustain a better "good biological colony in the aquarium.

I welcome any and all feedback

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
In regards to your biological colony, you only have as much biological colony based upon your bio load in the tank and the ammonia produced. Adding more filters or a filter intended for a bigger tank isn't going to improve your bio-bed of the tank. However, this will increase the mechanical filteration based upon the size of the filter and what it's used for in purporse.

Some prefer HOB and some prefer canister filters. I personally use both on my 220 and on my 75 gallon tank i just run 2x ac110's with a powerhead. If you don't believe that the ac110 is doing the job as far as mechanical, then simply add a powerhead and aim it strategically in the tank and it will solve the problem. If you are looking for more bio, then getting another filter isn't really going to help with that because the bio is there the same no matter how many filters you add.

I personally run two filters+ on all my tanks encase one goes out, there is another there to keep running. This will keep the biological there and also continue the oxygen exchange in the tank for the fish and bio.

BigFishMommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
excellent advice by Paulbearer there! i also run two filters on any tank larger than 20 gallons, or if a tank is less than 20 gallons but a lil more heavily stocked. all tanks have at least double the filtration for the tank size. my 20 long lightly stocked planted tank has a 55 gallon filter on it. my 55 gallon tank has over 250 gallons worth of filtration on it.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Will a canister filter help to sustain a healthier an cleaner aquarium over time than a HOB filter?
Not really, both filters if properly maintained will keep the aquarium clean. Water changes are more important in keeping the aquarium clean and healthy.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I don't like the looks of HOB's and only bring out my Emperor 400 when I need to quickly and easily do some chemical filtration. With that said I think HOB's are superior to canister filters because of the amount for O2 exchange they provide. I have 5 various Cans (Eheim, Rena, Fluval, Magnum 350, Red Sea) and don't think any of them are as beneficial for fish health as a HOB or a wet/dry sump due to O2 Exchange.

I currently run a small sump inline with a Monster DE and use my Eheim as a secondary/backup.

To me the major advantage of Canisters are strictly visual, especially if you can also get the heater out of the tank by running an ETH inline heater with the canister.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
If flow is not a concern an AC110 will offer more mechanical filtration, water agitation and (assuming you step up and add more ceramic rings to the meager startup amount) more biological filtration than a canister of the same price, or twice that price for the matter. Canisters backup quickly and seem to have their own issues while taking longer to clean, I notice that they are preferred for planted tanks though I always found a 40-50 dollar HOB filter does the job of a 200 dollar canister for most applications. The best filter IMHO is the sump, it allows the most freedom for elaborate and effective filtration, The AC 110 is great for its layout imitates a sump or canister layout in many ways. HOB based on the filter cartridge layout are always short on bio filtration but solid on mechanical filtration, heck you can make your own superior filter cartridges for many of these filters buy picking up your own floss online and reusing old frames.

BigFishMommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
With that said I think HOB's are superior to canister filters because of the amount for O2 exchange they provide.
it all depends on the 'splash factor' when the water returns to the tank from the filter output. if your water level is right up to the top of your tank, and your hob output is barely disrupting the water surface, you won't get any more O2 exchange than you would with a canister IMO.

the way my rena xp canister is set up, as far as output goes, is the grey plastic output pipe shooting water straight down into the tank, with the water level a couple inches below the top tank trim. lots of splash and oxygen in my tank! i also have the aquaclear 110 on the other side of the tank.

it's all about increased water surface disruption, that's how you get your gas exchange going good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store