Canister recommendations for 55-75 gallon tanks

ar15fonsi

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2016
I have a Sunsun 304B on my 75G with an Aquaclear 110 (for now), I am planning on getting another Sunsun to run along with the other Sunsun. So far I've had no issues with my Sunsun.

Reactions: Nathan P

ar15fonsi

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2016
I am running 2 SunSun Canister filters on my Asian Arowana tank. So far so good. SunSun is reasonably cheaper compared to FluVal or EHeim. It does a good job and so far didn't face any issues.

I haven't used other canister filters, also I haven't faced any major issue cleaning / maintaining the SunSun canister filters which I am using. One is a HW304B with UV light and it has 4 trays, enough to hold good amount of various media. Cleaning done in 10-15 minutes and lo leakage.
Same experience here :)

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
If money isn't an issue and you are set on canisters, I'd suggest Eheim. But I'd go with the 2217. If it was me, I'd go with Aquaclear HOB's. They are so much more user friendly and easier to clean than canisters. They also use quite a bit less electricity than most canisters. With three tanks, that can add up.

Nathan P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Thanks for all the replies!

We'll have to wait and see what the ol' budget looks like when the time comes. Hopefully I can spring for high end filters, but I'm glad to hear some of you have had success with SunSun.

I fully appreciate the virtues of the Aquaclear - many years ago I maintained the live animal collection in a college biology department, and AC110/500s were my go-to filters. I still use some today. However, I want a cleaner look for these tanks and a canister is much less visually obtrusive than an HOB, and allows me to nestle the tank closer to the wall.

Reactions: Hendre

AZ Red

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2016
I run a Fluval 406 that I bought used almost 10yrs ago, and still filters great. Last year, I finally had to replace some parts. Cost me all of $20 for a new drive shaft, impeller, impeller cover, and hose ends.

It's worked well for my 55gal salt tank, as well as my 29gal display + 40gal sump AP system

AZR

Matthew Meek

Feeder Fish
Jul 24, 2016
If you are looking for a really powerful canister for a great price the Odyssea cfs700 has a 9 watt UV bulb included on a canister that pumps 700 gallons a min.

Best part $99.95 on amazon with free shipping

If money is no option I would suggest getting a sump instead. The higher priced canisters cost as much as a good sump. A decent sump will filter much better than the higher priced canisters

Reactions: AZ Red and Nathan P

AZ Red

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2016
I'll agree with Matthew. If you have a setup to have a common sump for your tanks, do it. Larger systems are more stable, and the equipment is more cost effective.

Nathan P

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Thanks for the replies, y'all!

If I were starting from scratch I would be willing to get tanks with installed overflows for sumps, but my existing tanks don't have them and I don't want to drill them, nor do I want siphon overflows which have the same drawbacks in my scenario as HOBs (take up too much space behind tank, visually disruptive). A common sump is no-go, the tanks will not be near one another. I appreciate the thought, but I have thought through the alternatives and I am set on canisters.

I hadn't heard of the Odyssea filter, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Timmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
On Mother EARTH
I used the XP line of filters for years back when Rena made them. Mars bought the XP line and IMO have severely suffered in quality. I have GREAT reviews of the sunsun and alike filters....

AZ Red

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2016
Is SunSun actually a reputable brand then? I've seen several of their products on Amazon, and I'm somewhat hesitant because they seem to be priced very low for the features you get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store