canopy plan for 20 gallon w/ HOB?

Snorri

Feeder Fish
Dec 21, 2018
I'm a newbie to fish keeping, and just got a 20 gallon tank. Problem is, my cat is big & curious and I'm worried he'll knock the lid off.

Does anyone have plans/recommendations for a diy canopy? I need space for a HOB filter and something sturdy enough for a 15 pound cat to land on.

Thanks!

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
You could do a flush mount glass lid. There’s a plastic piece you put at the back and cut it to fit your HOB in it. The cat won’t be able to knock the glass lid off and a command strip hook works as the perfect handle to lift the front piece of glass.

Reactions: Snorri

Snorri

Feeder Fish
Dec 21, 2018
Thanks for these! I've heard that glass can sometimes shatter under the impact of a cat landing on it. Does anyone have experience with that? Or happen to have plans for a wood canopy?

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
Thanks for these! I've heard that glass can sometimes shatter under the impact of a cat landing on it. Does anyone have experience with that? Or happen to have plans for a wood canopy?
You can also use these polycarbonate panels instead of glass, they are used for green houses. Your cat has to lift for it to break these.

Also it's way easier to cut than glass

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I just got some glass sheets from Lowe’s cut to size. Works well for me and my needs.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I'd build a wooden canopy to cover the top and lights. Just get some 1x6 wood to build a surround and hinge a lid on top for access

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store