HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Or try electro fishing, I did that as well and it worked great
Tough to do for catfish. They're pretty resistant against that technique. You'd have to crank it up so high that you end up killing smaller fish of other species.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Lots of great suggestions in this post. :) I'm going to try a few, particularly the ones that involve clever netting techniques.

While my company has an e-boat, we keep it down in southern Florida where the invasives are worse. I doubt that they'd bring it up to the First Coast.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I personally would use a hook and line. Especially during this time of year I catch tons of 1-2 pound catfish no matter what I do to avoid them! I myself within a couple hours literally caught 50 5-12 inch cat fish to get to the large ones/wipers.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd go barbless circle hooks ( they normally swallow J hooks) or a seine along the bottom. Did my natalis breeding project inspire you Rob? :)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Did my natalis breeding project inspire you Rob? :)
More than you know. I work in limnology and I stumbled upon a little gem whilst reading an article or two that has led me to commit to this project. I see a potential fortune in this; and as such, I won't tell what it is. lol.

The main reason I'm looking for fish now though is because I'm doing an article for PCF.

I'm thinking that the barbless circles might be the best bet. I'm no stranger to fishing (my own gear is Penn spinfishers mounted on St. Croix rods), I just figured there might be a better way to harvest these guys quickly.

10723590_10152734543874417_1396452004_n.jpg

10723590_10152734543874417_1396452004_n.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
More than you know. I work in limnology and I stumbled upon a little gem whilst reading an article or two that has led me to commit to this project. I see a potential fortune in this; and as such, I won't tell what it is. lol.

The main reason I'm looking for fish now though is because I'm doing an article for PCF.

I'm thinking that the barbless circles might be the best bet. I'm no stranger to fishing (my own gear is Penn spinfishers mounted on St. Croix rods), I just figured there might be a better way to harvest these guys quickly.

View attachment 1039878
Cant leave me hanging on this "potential fortune"! I had an idea to breed them in the pond I'm making in spring (which I'm going to anyway) and sell the fry to a LFS my friend owns who could easily market them for ponds but I can't sell them legally in PA :p. I don't know what kind you have around you but if you catch any Spotteds, Snails, or Flats and would want to sell me a group send a PM my way and we might be in business :D.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Cant leave me hanging on this "potential fortune"! I had an idea to breed them in the pond I'm making in spring (which I'm going to anyway) and sell the fry to a LFS my friend owns who could easily market them for ponds but I can't sell them legally in PA :p. I don't know what kind you have around you but if you catch any Spotteds, Snails, or Flats and would want to sell me a group send a PM my way and we might be in business :D.
If I'm successful in breeding them, there will be an influx of the beautifully marbled Florida bullheads into the hobby- all three species. That's not going to be the primary purpose however.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
If I'm successful in breeding them, there will be an influx of the beautifully marbled Florida bullheads into the hobby- all three species. That's not going to be the primary purpose however.
Awesome! Serracanthus are my favorite species!

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
i know you don't want to use a hook but that is probably one of your best options. i would say two options either jugging/trot line, or do it like crabbing. through some big traps that are baited that have one way doors just make sure they are big enough for the size fish you want.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
If you are looking to catch them in swampy areas, a seine may not be your best bet as it will get hung up on everything (stumps, rocks, logs). Your best bet will be trot lines or rod and reel. A wire fish trap may work too, but you really should inquire with your local fish and game department regarding legal methods. Electro fishing is also an option, but you will have to use the correct settings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store