CARES endangered species

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Quick shot of my lyonsi. I almost got rid of it a while back when it was a little nippy but has calmed down...any thoughts on male or female? I was thinking female but idk with these fish

lyonsi.jpg

6 bar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Antelope Valley
Sweet looking lyonsi. Look at all the reds in it. If mine is a female, then I guess yours is too because the shape and its general appearance. But I'm no expert either.

How big is it? How long have you had it.

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
Snowflake311;3893610; said:
Doing captive breeding projects will only keep these fish alive in our tanks. Unless you are going to release them back into there native waters. We need to STOP or slow down the deforestation & pollution in order to save these fish and animals. Also better regulations on fishing and exporting.

Its sad when a fish is no longer found in the wild and only seen in Aquarium trade. Those are just a tiny few among MANY of fish that are threatened around the world.

I totally agree and that would be great but the fact of the matter is that will probably never happen in our lifetime. I keep a lot of Vics and it is the same issue. I feel it is better if they exist only in our tanks as at least they exist and at least if they exist it may be possible down the road to reintroduce them to their habitats if its ever possible. Who knows. I have a species of Vic that is extinct in the wild and it breaks my heart but I am happy to try and help save it from complete extinction.

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
Your little guys look great...Thanks for posting the pics!!!:D

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Great post!

While I keep, breed and distribute lots of CARES species, I'd be kidding myself if I thought that I was actually having an impact on conservation of cichlid habitats.

I would like to see aquarists and clubs like the ACA work with groups like the Nature Conservancy (check out their Parks in Peril pogram: http://www.parksinperil.org/), World Wildlife Fund and other groups actually working to sustainably conserve and preserve habitats.

Matt

Snowflake311;3893610; said:
Doing captive breeding projects will only keep these fish alive in our tanks. Unless you are going to release them back into there native waters. We need to STOP or slow down the deforestation & pollution in order to save these fish and animals. Also better regulations on fishing and exporting.

Its sad when a fish is no longer found in the wild and only seen in Aquarium trade. Those are just a tiny few among MANY of fish that are threatened around the world.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
So true.....but as long as people brag about their mahogany desks (several of my semi-idiot friends who have them don't have a clue they come from 300 year old trees from CA) and the need for ethanol (the production of which is decimating old growth jungles in SA) it's all just lip service at the expensive of CA and SA habitats.

I agree with you guys. We can keep the species alive, but putting them back may never happen.

Just check some of Mo's pics from his last collecting trip and it'll be clear that the economics of poverty almost guarantee habitat destruction.

baldtaxguy

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2006
specialized002;3899437; said:
lyonsi is about, 6-8" range, got it last year at the swap and was only about 2" at best. Wasn't a big fan at first then grew to love it!!
Same here, probably got mine from the same source. Now at 7", just an awesome fish. I will always keep tank space available for this species.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Too true, Chris. I think a lot of people want to keep endangered / threatened species because of the panache of keeping something rare / endangered / threatened.

The goal for most conservation efforts is to make them sustainable - including making the (local) business case for people to conserve their natural resources.

Because conservation is such a multi-faceted issue, success often requires bringing scientists together with business people, local governments, etc.

This is happening today (again check out www.parksinperil.org as one example)... but not (to my knowledge) with a focus on cichlids.

What is frustrating (for me at least) is that the well-intentioned efforts of hobbyists are either misdirected (e.g. keeping fish in ad hoc "breeding programs" to possibly, some day re-introduce fish back into native habitats) or disconnected from broader efforts (e.g. a couple of thousand dollars for funding anti-netting devices to keep Lake Malawi natives from fishing places where they're not supposed to).

If we really care about these fish, we should focus on WHY they're endangered / threatened... use the fish as a means to educate... and encourage our fellow aquarists to support groups who are working to preserve / conserve their habitats.

Matt

cchhcc;3898458; said:
So true.....but as long as people brag about their mahogany desks (several of my semi-idiot friends who have them don't have a clue they come from 300 year old trees from CA) and the need for ethanol (the production of which is decimating old growth jungles in SA) it's all just lip service at the expensive of CA and SA habitats.

I agree with you guys. We can keep the species alive, but putting them back may never happen.

Just check some of Mo's pics from his last collecting trip and it'll be clear that the economics of poverty almost guarantee habitat destruction.

BadOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Maine
6 bar, yours look to be about the same size as the one I got from don a few months ago. I now wish I had got more of them. Really interesting fish up close and one of my favorites I got. Here are a couple pics of mine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store