Caribe in a 72x30x24" tank - long term?

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I will soon have a spare 72" x 30"wide x 24" tank with 4ft sump as I have ordered a 9ft for my preds/

I am wondering what to stock in the 6ft and in the 32 years I have kept fish I have always wanted a piranha set up. I have kept a couple over the years temporarily but this time I am thinking of a proper set up and caribe bought from young and raised in that tank

Questions and querys are... How many would you put in that set up? I am a heavy water changer I do 50% twice a week on my rays etc
Is it successful keeping a group of caribes or is it likely you end up with one? If I get them I want to keep them till they are adults effectively

I saw caribes as I believe they are less skittish and are better coloured than RBP?

Do they provide a decent set up

Thanks in advance for any advice

DeathBerserker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2023
Inside the US Caribe purchasing will be a significant challenge, as for the tank I have the same one with 2 6-7 inch RBP and 2 5-6 inch Caribe. They are fat dumb and happy with the tank, Caribe has established their territories and all is well in there. Will probably try to get a few more similar-sized piranhas but I will probably favor rehome or rescues within driving range of Washington DC.

Reactions: Simonas

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Inside the US Caribe purchasing will be a significant challenge, as for the tank I have the same one with 2 6-7 inch RBP and 2 5-6 inch Caribe. They are fat dumb and happy with the tank, Caribe has established their territories and all is well in there. Will probably try to get a few more similar-sized piranhas but I will probably favor rehome or rescues within driving range of Washington DC.
Cheers pal

I am UK based and still making my mind up what I want to do with the tank when the new one arrives which will be a couple of months
I love your part of the world my daughters living in Virginia currently near DC

Reactions: DeathBerserker

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
i have two tanks similar size but 30" tall, one had 6 piraya down to 3 after cannibalism...

hypothetically 20g per fish was a recommendation at one point,

have considered caribe in the other with a target of 8-10 at the end, i would start with 12-15?

caribe should be available in the market now or soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store