catching lake fish for fillets

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
I have a local pond stocked to its gills with sunfish, bluegill and channel cats. they treat it occasionally for algae. can i catch these, cut them up and use the fillets to feed my fish? is the treatment an issue?

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
i would research that online before taking the risk. If the treatment werent a problem, you'd be all set. i catch bullheads from time to time, fillet them and then freeze the fillets too kill parasites.i leave them in the freezer for 2 days before feeding

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
Can you or would you eat the fish? If not or if told not to dont feed it.

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
ive heard both that its ok to eat them from someone who had a part time job treating the ponds said eat them and then someone who lived on the pond said dont haha. i filleted a couple cats but ended up giving them away. as far as i know, they didnt die from eating them.

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
well it passed relatives and friends test now finall test see if you can eat it.

polish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Ne, IN
www.tankterrors.com
Most lakes around here are treated for Algae and we used to eat the fish all the time. I haven't in some years but I don't think it should be a big deal. I plan to catch a bunch over summer and freeze them for fish food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store