Catfish for 75G with Bichirs.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Catfish typically hide. If you want a really active catfish look at the Hoplo catfish. I have one that is 6"+ in my tank and he is always out swimming all over the tank and sifting through the sand for food. I'm not sure how active they are when small, but I bought mine at 5" and he rarely hides.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Catfish typically hide. If you want a really active catfish look at the Hoplo catfish. I have one that is 6"+ in my tank and he is always out swimming all over the tank and sifting through the sand for food. I'm not sure how active they are when small, but I bought mine at 5" and he rarely hides.

My LFS had some s while back and they looked interesting. I might look into one or two of those.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
an active catfish is pretty rare, and in my honest opinion, not species specific but fish specific. Personality plays a big part in whether you see your cat every time you look at the tank or once every couple weeks lol. That said, a syno would go well as already suggested.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
an active catfish is pretty rare, and in my honest opinion, not species specific but fish specific. Personality plays a big part in whether you see your cat every time you look at the tank or once every couple weeks lol. That said, a syno would go well as already suggested.
That's very true. I hardly see my bichirs when the lights are on. I'd like to see something in this tank.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
My LFS had some s while back and they looked interesting. I might look into one or two of those.

I have read they do great in a school, maybe three of them would be ideal. I'm actually debating on ordering 3 or 4 and growing them out for my bichir tank.

In my Bichir tank I have two Synodontis decorus, one Irwini and this Hoplo (for catfish). Of the four the only one that swims around all the time is the Hoplo. The Syno's hide all day long but they are over 7" and I can see them hiding (still not as good as seeing them swim around though). The Irwini is 4.5" and I never see him unless I move his driftwood to clean under it.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I have read they do great in a school, maybe three of them would be ideal. I'm actually debating on ordering 3 or 4 and growing them out for my bichir tank.

In my Bichir tank I have two Synodontis decorus, one Irwini and this Hoplo (for catfish). Of the four the only one that swims around all the time is the Hoplo. The Syno's hide all day long but they are over 7" and I can see them hiding (still not as good as seeing them swim around though). The Irwini is 4.5" and I never see him unless I move his driftwood to clean under it.
Yea. I guess I can't expect too much. Seeing most of them are nocturnal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store