Catfish for a 285g Tank

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Vulture catfish are cool and stay smaller I think.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Try 24" :). Their maxillery barbel span is also longer than their body so that makes for the requirement of an even large tank, I'd say 96"x36" minimum for an adult.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Vulture catfish are cool and stay smaller I think.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1 not too big for your tank...and really good looking

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
Try 24" :). Their maxillery barbel span is also longer than their body so that makes for the requirement of an even large tank, I'd say 96"x36" minimum for an adult.
Planet catfish lists them as maxing out at 19.7 inches. I'd definitely recommend one mine is also going into my 300 when it gets some size. As of now it's 8-9 inches and really nice and eats like a pig really active too. Not a fan of catfish much but I really like him

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
I'm a big fan of hoplos but they don't get very big. my fork tailed hoplo will max out at like 8-9" but other species are more around 5-6" max. they're like giant cory cats and very active so a school of big hoplos would look great in a tank that size i think. if those aren't your thing i saw others suggested sun catfish or lima shovelnose which are both very cool imo as well.

Rokuzachi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2013
Oregon
I'm a big fan of hoplos but they don't get very big. my fork tailed hoplo will max out at like 8-9" but other species are more around 5-6" max. they're like giant cory cats and very active so a school of big hoplos would look great in a tank that size i think. if those aren't your thing i saw others suggested sun catfish or lima shovelnose which are both very cool imo as well.
Hoplos are awesome. I had a group of 7 H. littorale for a few years. The original 3 were about 4 years old I think, they'd pretty well stopped growing (noticeably at least) around the 6-7" mark. Great fish though - very friendly, very active, very easy to take care of. The whole group would swarm my hand if I stuck it in there with food in it :) I really miss those guys!

I'd set up a new tank just for them if i could find some - they were the fish that got me back into aquariums after a ~10 year hiatus.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Sun catfish can get a bit rowdy I think. But I don't think they would with the bichirs. They get about a foot in aquaria. It'd take long to get larger. The biggest I've heard of in aquaria was 14 inches. You can house one by itself but they prefer groups.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
+1

Lima shovelnose top out at 18 inches
If you got a small lima he shouldn't eat your polypterus and can live in your tank. You could also look at raphael cats, pterodoras granulosus, and Megalodoras uranoscopus. For cichlids you could get oscars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store