Cephalopholis Miniatus.

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
Predator1 you have to post some tank pics; I also have a 'special' interest in your Clown Trigger set up to give me some ideas on how to set up my forthcoming 'clown tank'.....any info on the diet you feed the Clown any things i should look out for viz water params thry are specifically sensitive to etc how often you change water in this tank etc etc just looking to learn........

Oh beautiful fish btw

Meskeetdog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
Phoenix
Predator 1;1595476; said:
Yes Bassmaster, I have no problems finding food that he likes. His tank mates include another Grouper "Cromileptes Altivelis" he is several inches larger than the "Miniata" so he can defend himself. I had to do some research before deciding to introduce my new "Arothron Meleagris" into the same system (see other thread) But the Groupers are aware of the deadly toxins that Puffers carry. And in general live in harmony with each other. I only have one more addition to find now, the one that is the hardest to obtain here in the UK, the "Marine Barracuda"
Can someone elaborate more on the toxins of the puffers? Is it only if they are eaten or killed the toxins are released or if they are scared then they can release the toxins like an octopus or squid and essentially BOMB the tank killing themselves in the process.

Thanks in advance

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
The Poison that Puffers carry in there Liver and Ovaries is called "Tetrodotoxin" It is a powerful Neurotoxin, estimated to be 10,000 times more potent than Cyanide.
It is especially concentrated in the "Arothron" species that I keep. Puffers do not have the ability to release there toxins at will. It can only be delivered upon ingestion of the fish. Death will follow in less than 17 minutes. Hence my previous remark concerning my Groupers giving the Puffer a wide berth and much respect!.

Pisces

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Carolina
The fish in the picture is not a Mineatus Grouper. Mineatus groupers have a round shapped tail and are much brighter in color. I have kept the grouper in the picture many years ago. Rather common back then but I don't see them anymore. Nice fish...

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
I am glad you said that!!. I bought the fish several years ago as a juvenile Miniatus, and as it has grown, it is displaying different physical characteristics from the Miniatus. I have been unable to find an exact species match. If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful to hear them.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
speckled hind or a strawberry grouper perhaps?

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
Thanks for the suggestions BG. The "Strawberry" Grouper has a rounded tail like the "Miniatus". The "Speckled Hind" has white spots, unlike the vivid Blue spots on my fish.

Pisces

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
South Carolina
Alright it took a while but here it is Predator 1! Your fish is a Plectropomus Maculatus (hobby name is spotted corfal grouper. Grows to 40". Hope you've got a small pool waiting for him lol. Enjoy him groupers are the best...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store