chaca-chaca catfish info

phreakph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
chicago
Just picked one up today, saw him in my lps and could not resist about 4" paid 14.99!! Any one out there have any info or story's that may be helpful would appriciate it. And of course pic's are a must...Really interested on what your have been feeding the fish.

cah.jpg

Reactions: Chub_by

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
Well I see you have already checked out planet catfish for info. Haven't found much other info besides them.

I didn't have a chaca chaca, but I did have a chaca bakaensis, pretty much the same thing. Mine would only eat feeder rosies. I was able to get him to eat a one cut up piece of smelt, but that was it.

I have heard them of takeing bloodworms, and blackworms. You will just have to give some stuff a try and see what he will eat.

They don't really do a whole lot as you have probably already relized, but they are fun to watch eat.

Oh, and they eat tankmates that will fit in their mouth.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
My LFS has 7" ones for 17 bucks. I would have brought one home too if they didnt have a ray:)
As soon as I find a spot I'm getting that fish I love them!
Very nice find!

phreakph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
chicago
tried raw shrimp and frozen brine shrimp so far with no luck, gonna pick up some silversides and live red worms and try that tomorrow. I have yet to see him eat, but being a cat he may have picked around my tank last night when I was sleeping, I wont rest easy untill I witness him eat. It is funny this is the most slugish and lazy cat I have ever owned, he just lays there and does not move for anything half the time he look's dead after I fed my fish the frozen brine he was covered in it and did'nt even try to shake it off himself.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
it will probably let you pick it up too. they're hilarious

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Dirty Old Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
Arizona
rallysman;480470; said:
My LFS has 7" ones for 17 bucks. I would have brought one home too if they didnt have a ray:)
As soon as I find a spot I'm getting that fish I love them!
Very nice find!
How large do they normally get in an aquarium setting?

phreakph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
chicago
Lps said 8"

Dirty Old Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2006
Arizona
So if placed in a tank with senegal bichirs, an ornate bichir, a reedfish, and a needlenose gar, would there be any issues with fish picking on each other or worse, eating eachother?

phreakph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
chicago
From my understanding cat is very peaceful, unless of course a fish can fit in it's mouth. Also fish does not venture out and around the tank at all, I was told just to make sure my bottom dweller's were large enough not to be eaten. My chaca is about 4" and his mouth is huge, he could take out a feeder goldfish with no:character0087: problem!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store