Chain pickerel?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Only northern pikes that do not do well at warm temperatures. The reason why pickerels are in shallow parts of water is because they do not have a choice. They are just there to avoid the competition with larger esox species. Studies showed that pickerels in pike waters are found in shallow water but never in deep water where the larger esox are at. The studies also revealed that pickerels have complete different diet in same waters with larger esox. Larger esox gets better forage fish and have higher percentage diet of soft rayed fishes where the pickerel gets poor choice of forage fish and have higher percentage diet of spiny fish which offers poor nutrition. The studies also revealed that when they removed larger esox from a specific lake/pond, the pickerels switched the diet from spiny fishes to soft rayed fishes and only larger adults of pickerels dominated in deep waters.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Very interesting. I thought I read a thread a whole back about a red fin pickerel with declining health since the temperature was bumped up to accommodate another fish. I remember it because I kind of want one. But only tank i could keep it in sits at 85-88 depending. Has a pbass, 6 silver dollars, common pleco, and freshwater moray. Would those temps be too high you think?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
constantly? Probably wouldn't be the best. they are forgiving but not for long periods of time haha. Like i said my water bounces between 65-75 depending on the day here (PA weather...dont get me started) and mine has never shown any distress due to temps. I heated the water last week to speed up some stubborn ich in the tank, and he was fine and eating like normal. but to keep it consistantly in the high 80s for a native probably would be ill advised. plus, a pbass and moray would pick on that poor fish to no end.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Moray is fine, pbass is timid too but competitive. Moot point if i cant keep one anyway, I need the temps high for them. Beauty fish.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Why do they need temps so high?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Wanna boost metabolism so I can feed 3x solid meals, it's my growout, trying to minimize the time I need to keep it running.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store