channa ornatipinnis feeding video.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
took these crickets pretty gently today still thought i would share!-)
[video]https://youtu.be/T-DsRhVoRtk[/video]

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
Wow, that ornatipinnis is a stunner, he has excellent colors! He could use a little diet, I can see you give him a lot of love.

Cheers

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Very nice!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
cheers guys, do i need to put him on a diet...? massivore is his staple, quite fattening i guess.

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
cheers guys, do i need to put him on a diet...? massivore is his staple, quite fattening i guess.
Channa are opportunistic predators, in wild they will try eat anything they cant catch and fit in their mouths. In Aquaria, snakeheads don't get anywhere near the amount of exercise they do in the wild, and they are fed a lot more frequently. Snakeheads aren't like tetras, they don't draw discretion when it comes to food. They just eat until they're stuffed, so its up to the keeper to control how much they're fed. A lot of snakehead keepers say that channa are prone to obesity because of they are such gluttonous eaters. You often see very fat channa pulchra that grow lethargic and unhealthy.

The stuff you're feeding should more than likely be fine, it's more about feeding them less. For most of my dwarf snakeheads I only feed them 1-2times a week. I feed just enough so their body looks full, but still slender and round.

Ben Zhuang has a great ornatipinnis that i think looks very healthy.

http://benzfish.blogspot.ca/2009/09/channa-ornatipinnisoriginal.html

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
That one looks awesome, blues are killer, my guys on a diet then!-)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
thanks mate. one thing that is really bothering me is the fact that they dont like water changes, is that right? i do 50+ percent a week on my other tanks, uk water is 40ppm out the tap!!
ive been doing 25% fortnightly, some say 10% a month, how do you keep nitrates in check like that?

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
thanks mate. one thing that is really bothering me is the fact that they dont like water changes, is that right? i do 50+ percent a week on my other tanks, uk water is 40ppm out the tap!!
ive been doing 25% fortnightly, some say 10% a month, how do you keep nitrates in check like that?
Lots of Channa keepers rely on their live plants to eat up the nitrates. How often I change water also depends on the season and how much food they are consuming/waste they are producing.

Great looking fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store