Cheap Ghetto Pond Ideas?

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hey guys, need some halp. A bit confused on what direction I should go. The baby common goldfish I rescued off of craigslist need to come out of that 10 gallon quarantine. No luck finding a home for them yet and I don't want them to get stunted since they seem to have grown a little even with a once a day or every 2 day feeding. I do believe that they may stay fairly small since they were kept in horrible conditions from the person I got them from and probably the store/supplier. Plus the fiance is attached to them and I will admit I'm getting that way too, cute friendly pieces of crap..... And daily water changes gets old after a month and I want my bathroom counter space back haha. :D

Preferably I would like to complete this build for less than 100 bucks, 200 absolute max. I just don't have any cash to really spare and I don't want to keep being guilty of mooching fish money off the fiance. :oops:

Does anyone have ideas on how to make like the most ghetto cheap crappy above ground pond ever? It would need to be at least 55 gallons, preferably more since it will be a while before I can get them a regular big tank. I have seen those farm stock tanks and intex kiddie pools but they are a little bit pricey and most are too big to look good inside. Would a home depot food safe storage tub be tough enough to be filled with water or would it bust? Would a blowup kiddie pool be safe or will I need a pond liner? I would prefer that the pond would go out on the patio also, but I'm bit worried about the temperature. Lately here at night it drops into the low 50's and sometimes 40's. Day is usually around the 60's. Would commons survive that temp swing ok or would I need to build insulation/toss in a heater? I would be able to construct a cheap lid from mesh or plastic or something similar. Luckily no birds really come on the patio except for a finch that likes pecking around. I haven't seen any raccoons or cats or possums either even with trash kinda all over in this neighborhood. Another issue is the power supply to the pond. This apartment is so crappy that there's no power outlet outside (and several other issues that are driving me up the damn walls jesus I hate this place the more I look at it). I would probably have to risk an extension cord out the sliding door. Kinda sketch in this neighborhood lol so I would probably have to be home when the filters are running, think running it part of the day could work? Is there some sort of battery powered pump or cheap and good power pack (like those truck power inverters minus the truck) maybe? Would wiring one up be difficult? I also was thinking it might be best to do plant only biological filtration though with lots of water changes. I have an absolute buttload of hornwort in all my tanks right now. I can also find stuff like duckweed or water lettuce off craigslist, a couple people have em and I'm sure I can just find them on a hike too but IDK about them with the cold weather. Another issue with that, is that I face north, so ZERO sunlight hits the patio except like an hour or 2 in the summer, and this apartment is a depressing mushroom cave. The ambient light has been just enough to grow some green onions on the fence and snake plants and pothos indoors.

I suppose I could just build it indoors by moving my kitchen table outside to be a patio table since we rarely use it anyways. I'm just worried about evaporation because the cheap paint likes to leak surfactant if I don't use the fans in the shower and kitchen, and I wanna avoid tripping all over cords, and I don't really wanna risk putting another giant tank inside for liability reasons even though the landlord is ok with me having tanks, and etc.

Also, do you think a beat up freebie (if I can find one) 55-75 gallon just plopped on the concrete slab out there would work ok for at least 6 months? It seems fairly level luckily. The water here is free thank god, not worried at all about water changes. It may take us up to a year to move from this apartment depending on the fiance's work situation. I'm sure I can find them a good home eventually but they need to get out of that teeny 10 gallon like now. If I can just set up something temporarily that could be easily torn down and setup again as needed that would be pretty sweet.

Thoughts?

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
This was an hdx(Home Depot) storage bin I used as a temporary tank several years ago. This one was 30 gallons I think, but I saw one the other day for $25 that was around 55 gallons. I was eyeing it for a sump.

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
If you have a Tractor Supply, you can get a 120 gallon stock tank for 70 bucks.
I may look into that, saw some on their website but I would have to drive to el cajon and I'm not sure if it would fit in my car's back seat.

This was an hdx(Home Depot) storage bin I used as a temporary tank several years ago. This one was 30 gallons I think, but I saw one the other day for $25 that was around 55 gallons. I was eyeing it for a sump.
Main thing would just be me being paranoid as hell about it busting and ruining stuff. Maybe I will pick one up anyway though if it's under 25 bucks, I can use the storage if it doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: robham777

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've built an above ground pond with cinder blocks, wood, and a pond liner. The pond liner being the most expensive part. Really depends on how ghetto you want to get. I also built a filter for it out of a plastic plant pot and the most expensive part was the water pump. All in all I was able to build a roughly 375g pond for $300 (I think...it's been awhile).

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Don't worry, popo will think you're crazy for saving a feeder and let you go. San Diego Koi Club clears the pond periodically and find homes for all of them.....turtles, tilapia, gold fish and many cichids.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I may look into that, saw some on their website but I would have to drive to el cajon and I'm not sure if it would fit in my car's back seat.

Main thing would just be me being paranoid as hell about it busting and ruining stuff. Maybe I will pick one up anyway though if it's under 25 bucks, I can use the storage if it doesn't work.
I've had a bin like this called the "Strong box" running with feeder goldfish for over a year.. It was outside in freezing weather running with fish perfectly fine.

Best $11 spent

Don't worry about bursting.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Pet supplies plus also has a $1 per gallon sale up to 55 until the 22nd. There is one located in San Diego near the House of Blues. I think a 55 would be fine on the patio and you could always use it when you move.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
I've built an above ground pond with cinder blocks, wood, and a pond liner. The pond liner being the most expensive part. Really depends on how ghetto you want to get. I also built a filter for it out of a plastic plant pot and the most expensive part was the water pump. All in all I was able to build a roughly 375g pond for $300 (I think...it's been awhile).

Nice build. I have thought of doing something similar once we get a real house haha. Mostly to avoid digging.

Most of the money would go into the equipment. I will probably pick up an aquaclear of some sort and rig it up to fit on the side. Either that or bust out all my eons old dusty stuff in my aquarium box. Got a few air pumps I think.
:D

Reactions: M@T!@$
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store