Cheap plants, less nitrate! POTHOS

Brian Rodgers

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2016
Northern New Mexico
Great ideas. I just did water lilies and hadn't realized it was easy to try other plants. The fish seem to like having something else in their tank to look at and swim around. I'll get pictures today.

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
One of my bunches continues to grow great with roots down in to the overflow box like yours TripleW. The other is going a little slower.

6 days between water changes, 210g my nitrates got up to 20ppm. That was higher than I expected them to get in that period of time. Even though the tank gets a LOT sunlight, there is still no algae and the prochilodus are having to eat pellets and shrimp.
Yeah I haven't tested mine since doing this, but I am assuming its helping since they are growing so well.

Triple W, that is what I want my tank to look like. Love the roots coming down.
I think that it adds a unique look! I really like it!

Awesome with the roots hanging down. the fish must like it too.
Thank you!

Koji

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
Because of this thread, I just went out to my few pot of pothos and trimmed 3 long stalk and put them into the filtration system area. Hopefully it will help in reducing the nitrate in there over time.

20160511_085212.jpg

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
how much light do these guys need? will they work with just a normal LED aquarium light?
If the pothos isn't near a window, you'll need some plant appropriate lighting above it. Some basic Spiral CFLs in a 6500K color/temp range will do if you don't have aquarium plant lighting nearby.

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
If the pothos isn't near a window, you'll need some plant appropriate lighting above it. Some basic Spiral CFLs in a 6500K color/temp range will do if you don't have aquarium plant lighting nearby.
Ok thanks. They'll be in a basement with one small window and hanging outside an led-lit tank so I'll switch some of the room's led overheads to cfls.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
wow so much ive missed since leaving the hobby and mfk for a while but i just couldnt stay away lol. got a 20 gallon convict tank with some pothos in it and growing more in my chameleon cage hopefully will have some good vine when my panther egg hatches

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store