Cheap plants, less nitrate! POTHOS

momiloco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

I am currently trying to manage the NO3 level in my aquarium by planting Pathos.. Currently my No3 reading is more than 40 and up to 80 sometimes.. I mainly do the testing using API or Salifert. I normally have to do a 30% waterchange every 3 days.. to reduce the NO3.

I am thinking of planting Pathos in the sump tank which is located in the cabinet below the aquarium.

My question is, would Pathos survive under a fluoroscent light? I am thinking of turning the light on (using timer) for like 4 hours per day..

Thanks

momiloco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi all,

I am currently trying to manage the NO3 level in my aquarium by planting Pathos.. Currently my No3 reading is more than 40 and up to 80 sometimes.. I mainly do the testing using API or Salifert. I normally have to do a 30% waterchange every 3 days.. to reduce the NO3.

I am thinking of planting Pathos in the sump tank which is located in the cabinet below the aquarium.

My question is, would Pathos survive under a fluoroscent light? I am thinking of turning the light on (using timer) for like 4 hours per day..

Thanks

Tussin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks
Ok hopefully I can help you out. If you read my long post on the previous page then you know my situation and I currently don't have a fish tank but will have one once I move into a house( hopefully within the next year).

I really believe pothos like just about any light. They are tough as nails. I have tons of houseplants believe me and it was my very 1st. I call him OG lol. Now if the light your providing is the only light then 4 hours is not enough. I would say set the schedule the same as your fish tank or maybe more. So if you leave it on 8 hours a day then at least do that.

Now just like the fish hobby, we have a lot of passionate plant people as well. I've seen some that have a grow room that just follow the 12 on 12 off rule. Pretty simple. That would be plenty but just following your fish tank schedule will be fine as well if it's at least 8 hours.

Do remember though, the more light the better and you will get faster growth. If you can afford it, do the 12on 12off or if not then just your fish tank schedule will do.

I've read through this entire forum and remember to wash the roots of the plant to get as much dirt off as you can and cut an inch or two off the roots as this will help it establish better in water.

Now just like fish keeping you have to be a little patient and it may take a month for it get used to it's new home in water. You also may get some dieback in this process which you shouldn't freak out about. New water roots should grow and you should start to see some new leaves growing somewhere on the plant. That's a good sign!!!
(Completly optional just in case you kill the plant...hey it happens to us all) If you happen to get a really nice plant with a long vine then I would cut the vine off close to the surface and just leave a couple of leaves. You should see little brown nobs on the vine. That's where roots come out of. You can cut right above each leaf and there should be at least one nob under each. Continue to do that for each leaf on the vine and put them in cup and fill with water. So you should have a leaf and some stem. Try your best to keep leaves out of water and top off with water when it gets below the nobs. Put it somewhere warm and give it some light and you should see some roots in a couple of weeks or maybe sooner if your lucky. Now I realize that this is going to produce a WAY smaller plant than the mother but at least these roots were established in water and will transfer to your sump and be ready to go. Of course, you won't see the nitrate drop of the big mother plant but at least you have something started. Again patience!!!

Hope this helps and oh make sure to only have the roots in water and not any of the leaves as they will rot eventually. Sorry for the long post lol.....

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Just pulled this out of my sump the other day lol. There was more plant than pictured. I accidentally broke off a couple large pieces while handling it. The roots grew around the baffles into other chambers of the sump lol. Going to plant this in dirt and may start over with just a couple small pieces in the sump.0709170924_HDR.jpg

momiloco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2017
Ok hopefully I can help you out. If you read my long post on the previous page then you know my situation and I currently don't have a fish tank but will have one once I move into a house( hopefully within the next year).

Hope this helps and oh make sure to only have the roots in water and not any of the leaves as they will rot eventually. Sorry for the long post lol.....
Thanks for your detail explanation Tussin.
Very Helpful.

Just for your info, I currently have transferred some water lettuce and currently is the sole plant in the sump tank. The last time i put some water lettuce in, the leave turn yellow, I am not sure whether from the lack of or over exposure of fluorescent light..

Will having the light on for let say 10 hours have an adverse impact on the water lettuce?

Personally I think i would not have any problem planting a Pathos as the plant seems like can live anywhere just as long as there is water or soil. lol..

thanks again masta

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Just pulled this out of my sump the other day lol. There was more plant than pictured. I accidentally broke off a couple large pieces while handling it. The roots grew around the baffles into other chambers of the sump lol. Going to plant this in dirt and may start over with just a couple small pieces in the sump.View attachment 1263219
How did you have it in the sump?

Reactions: adamjavaguy

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Quick question, I've two empty overhead filter boxes(originally filled with ceramic rings) that I plan to fill with pothos.. Do I need to add substrate or growing medium like hydroton?
Is it ok to just fill the ohf with pothos and only flowing water from filtered tank water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store