Check out what I did in 4 hours...

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
That pump is a monster. 10.4a @ 1065 watts? No thanks though!!

mike b

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
hamilton, ohio
very nice I have to say I love the sound of a water pump pumping water through a diy filter again very nice :headbang2

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I had that pumps younger brother the the 4000gph modle it sucked power like no other. I personally hated the pump because of how I had it hooked up the sump it was in was not deep enough so it would suck air in and get air locked all the time, to where I had to unhook it and turn in vertical. Since I had to do this all the time I would use quick connect coupling and evey now and then I wouldn't get it tight enough and it would blow off the pump.

IT was a monster pump in output and power consumption.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
nfored;5068528;5068528 said:
I had that pumps younger brother the the 4000gph modle it sucked power like no other. I personally hated the pump because of how I had it hooked up the sump it was in was not deep enough so it would suck air in and get air locked all the time, to where I had to unhook it and turn in vertical. Since I had to do this all the time I would use quick connect coupling and evey now and then I wouldn't get it tight enough and it would blow off the pump.

IT was a monster pump in output and power consumption.
Yeah there are plenty more energy efficient options. Like the Evolution ESS9600. Flows 9600gph at 7.2a/792w.

I actually have this same pump in the 5200gph size, consumes 300w

derekp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2010
austin texas
lol The only reason I bought it was because I got it pretty cheap, it was used for 9 months prior. We live in the country so the electric didn't go up that much. I probably could have gotten something that is more energy efficient, but I didn't, and I don't want to switch it out now. Im lazy like that. lol

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
Just wondering, aside from the filtration which looks to be doing a very good job...are you reducing waterflow by those 2 valves or does the pump have settings for 1/2 power, 1/4 power, full power?
If you reduce flow by those valves, you'd be creating quite some pressure in the pump with 2 results:

1. You reduce the lifetime of the pump by putting quite some stress on the impeller, shaft and fittings.
2. I assume that your pump would also draw more power and generate more heat compared to running non-restricted.

Better solution would be to put a T just after the pump, off the main line that goes up to the filter, put a valve over there and return that one to the sump/tank.
The main lines to the filter fully open and then regulate the flow by opening the valve 'off the T' to the sump/tank.

This way you never put stress on the pump and you have better and easier control on the flow to your filter.
You could still use the 2 valves you got to regulate it between the two outlets into the filter.

Other than that, perfect DIY solution for your tanks...
Cheers,
Luc

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store