check this out

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
14"... where are my keys I need to go buy some now!

The internet is common place for misleading facts...

amctaxidermy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2007
PA
Hehe, thats from Elmer's aquarium website. That place is located within an hour's drive from me. They never have gator gars there anyway. I have only seen Spotted, FL Spotted, Longnose, and Shortnose. The last time I was there they had a FL and about 20 or so 3-4" Longnose. It is a fairly good fish store, despite their website inaccuracies. I wouldn't mind one of those dwarf gator gars they claim to sell there though :ROFL:

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
amctaxidermy;1330205; said:
Hehe, thats from Elmer's aquarium website. That place is located within an hour's drive from me. They never have gator gars there anyway. I have only seen Spotted, FL Spotted, Longnose, and Shortnose. The last time I was there they had a FL and about 20 or so 3-4" Longnose. It is a fairly good fish store, despite their website inaccuracies. I wouldn't mind one of those dwarf gator gars they claim to sell there though :ROFL:
They are not even claiming to have Alligator gar. better known as Atractosteus spatula..They only say Lepisosteus sp.

They are just using that name like all other stores do as a catch phrase for all gar species (Lepisosteids) or not gar species in some cases (Needlefish, tetras etc.).

Much like how this very site uses "gar" as a catch phrase of any number of unrelated genera and families of fish in the same misguided manner and refuses to separate lepisosteids (The fish one would assume to be a "gar" given that this is in the "ancient fish" area) from fish that are totally unrelated.

I'm a bit confused on how any of you expect to have accuracy on Elmers website and can criticize it.. then totally ignore the fact that this site perpetuates the same type of misleading info and common name usage in this very subforum all the time.

Seems kind of ridiculous and hypocritical to complain about elmers when you all tolerate the same misleading and incorrect species name usage openly here.

Don't knock elmers if you not looking at yourself...

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Polypterus;1330264; said:
They are not even claiming to have Alligator gar. better known as Atractosteus spatula..They only say Lepisosteus sp.

They are just using that name like all other stores do as a catch phrase for all gar species (Lepisosteids) or not gar species in some cases (Needlefish, tetras etc.).

Much like how this very site uses "gar" as a catch phrase of any number of unrelated genera and families of fish in the same misguided manner and refuses to separate lepisosteids (The fish one would assume to be a "gar" given that this is in the "ancient fish" area) from fish that are totally unrelated.

I'm a bit confused on how any of you expect to have accuracy on Elmers website and can criticize it.. then totally ignore the fact that this site perpetuates the same type of misleading info and common name usage in this very subforum all the time.

Seems kind of ridiculous and hypocritical to complain about elmers when you all tolerate the same misleading and incorrect species name usage openly here.

Don't knock elmers if you not looking at yourself...
was just shocked to see a site which spoke about gator gars maxing out at 14"
thats all

jonahonah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
CANADA
the funny one is that one their a-z under gars they almost get it right with 9.5ft but they also say spotted are 5ft

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store