Cherry Shrimp Deaths

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Hi guys, wondered if I could please ask for some input; I've just lost 5 cherry shrimps in the past couple of hours, after performing a 10 litre water change.

Tank is 60 litres, cycled, with 20 mountain minnows and 12 cherries.

The only changes I made, were adding a bunch of plants today; and then doing the water change.

I used waterlife tap conditioner, it mentions "haloex" and also contains formaldehyde, which I discovered after the event.

Quite frustrating, I reckon I'll probably lose all shrimp :(

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Is Prime available? Not sure why people would use anything else.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The only changes I made, were adding a bunch of plants today; and then doing the water change.
This could have been the culprit. Some plants come treated with chemicals that are poisonous to shrimp. I've heard it happen many times. I'd take out those plants, wash well, do several large water changes to exchange all water in the tank and filter.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
We used to add copper sulfate to new plants to prevent snails. Suppose this could be the case here.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Argggggghhhhhhh, that does sound like the most likely...last I looked, most of my shrimp were goners; I'm assuming since the plants are now in the tank, lots of water changes are the answer instead of directly washing them?

Guess I'll be washing all plants from now on

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Carbon will suck out the copper

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Just noticed this thread... Yeah, maybe try soaking any new plants in a hospital type tank with some carbon and prime to hopefully remove anything that was on the plants before going into the tank...

Over here stores dont treat their plants, which is why i bleach dip (1:20) with water for anywhere between 2-5 min a plant to kill off snails...

-edit-

I then also make sure to rinse really well and then soak the plants in an overdosed solution of prime + water for about 1-2 hours afterwards to make sure i neautralize the bleach...

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store