Chicx's Goonch Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
is a goonch related to a cat fish? first time i have ever seen this fish.
Goonch is a common name for catfish of the family Sisoridae and the genus Bagarius. The fish pictured is a dwarf member of the genus that is currently known as Bagarius bagarius though Dr. Ng, the foremost expert on Asian catfishes disputes the validity of this naming. It is likely that the dwarf species still needs to be assigned a name.

Goonches are also commonly known as devil catfish for their teeth and the size of some species. The largest goonches can top 7' and 200 pounds. These fish also have the most dramatically developed dentition in all of catfishdom.

Check this out, the teeth of an Indian giant goonch:

Catfish-Goonch-sm.jpg

Catfish-Goonch-sm.jpg

Reactions: dr exum

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
is a goonch related to a cat fish? first time i have ever seen this fish.
it is a catfish. Their common name is goonch catfish or just simply goonch

@cichx i had no idea there was such a thing as a dwarf goonch i thought they were all monsters? is it like a specific sp. or dwarfism or?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
it is a catfish. Their common name is goonch catfish or just simply goonch

@cichx i had no idea there was such a thing as a dwarf goonch i thought they were all monsters? is it like a specific sp. or dwarfism or?
Its a species from eastern Asia that is most commonly caught and exported in Thailand. This species is most commonly known in current terminology as Bagarius bagarius, though this name should be applied to one of the Indian giant varieties not the dwarf; the dwarf doesn't have a properly described name.

Go here for a more in depth discussion on the convoluted taxonomy of the genus Bagarius.

Reactions: dr exum

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store