Chinese Sturgeon Extinction

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I think overall the collectors of the rare stuff make up a small part of the participants of this hobby.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
That's sad. I work on a sturgeon farm and they are impressive creatures. With populations that low it would be difficult to maintain a healthy genetic mix of individuals. There is no doubt that these will become extinct in the wild, only existing in farms. This happens to sturgeon all over the eastern hemisphere. Russia now has a moratorium on the fishery, but poaching is still a big problem in their waters and in the Caspian Sea as well. Pretty much all of the sturgeon around there are endangered. It's tough to discourage poaching when a wild fish can be worth several thousand dollars, and it always will be. Make sure you only buy farmed caviar!

The U.S. and Canada do much better in their efforts to preserve native sturgeon, such as the Atlantic, Gulf (subspecies), and white.

Btw I like how the article stated that they're in a bad situation since the fish "haven't spawned since last year". Typically sturgeon only spawn once a year, and in some species females exhibit a biennial gonadal cycle.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Is that all that different from us in this hobby wanting the rare and unusual?
No it's not, you've got a point. Always desiring the rare and elusive. I don't think in the hobby we generally consume and kill the creatures we treasure but there are definitely some fatalities that happen keeping fish. I know I've lost more fish than I can remember, but I've bred a lot too. They weren't released to help the populations the hobby depletes but someone somewhere bought captive bred and slowed the harvest.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
That's sad. I work on a sturgeon farm and they are impressive creatures. With populations that low it would be difficult to maintain a healthy genetic mix of individuals. There is no doubt that these will become extinct in the wild, only existing in farms. This happens to sturgeon all over the eastern hemisphere. Russia now has a moratorium on the fishery, but poaching is still a big problem in their waters and in the Caspian Sea as well. Pretty much all of the sturgeon around there are endangered. It's tough to discourage poaching when a wild fish can be worth several thousand dollars, and it always will be. Make sure you only buy farmed caviar!

The U.S. and Canada do much better in their efforts to preserve native sturgeon, such as the Atlantic, Gulf (subspecies), and white.

Btw I like how the article stated that they're in a bad situation since the fish "haven't spawned since last year". Typically sturgeon only spawn once a year, and in some species females exhibit a biennial gonadal cycle.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I had no idea about biennial cycles in the females, learn something new everyday. I hope these species hold on, can't help but fear a large wave of extinctions coming, especially in the oceans.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store