Chinese wels care and pond size

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Be careful. Low temps and fresh new pond with good size fish sounds like trouble to me. Cold water takes longer to cycle. What filter are you running?
As Viktor mentioned, masheers are tough as nails. My water temp is at 60 deg today and they are not interested in food.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

GeorgeHaddaway15

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Crested Butte, Colorado
I am running a pro eco pond filter designed for 4000 gallon koi ponds. The last three masheers did not do good in shipment, as the outside temps here get into the negatives. So the next one will be ordered in the summertime.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am running a pro eco pond filter designed for 4000 gallon koi ponds. The last three masheers did not do good in shipment, as the outside temps here get into the negatives. So the next one will be ordered in the summertime.
Well, if you suspect they got temperature shocked en route to you, that could easily explain the mahseer death. Please provide such vital info in the future so we don't throw around unnecessary guesses. (I realize you hadn't exactly asked us why possibly mahseer died but you did mention it.)

"My water parameters are fine" is most usually said by someone who has no concrete numbers. We need concrete numbers in ppm measured appropriately by a liquid API test. No one is above this rule, not a newbie, nor an OG.

I am not trying to be hard on you, only helpful in my awkward ways.

Reactions: deeda

GeorgeHaddaway15

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Crested Butte, Colorado
I did a test about 5 days ago. I have all my parameters listed in my notebook, which is currently at my house. I just boarded the plane, so I’ll give you the parameters in a few hours. Off the top of my head my ammonia was at 0 ppm and my ph is always at 7.0 because I only have access to well water. The mahseer was definitely temperature shocked. It was floating belly up in the bag, so I texted Wes. I panicked so I did not acclimate. Maybe it made it worse. It looked dead in the bag so I just tried to get it in as fast as possible. I probably should’ve calmed down and acclimated it. What do you think? Big mistake? I have been into fish keeping for a few years now but not so much monster fish like these. I am still learning as you know. Sorry for not including that important info. I’m just glad the Chinese wels did okay as that’s where most of my money went to.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No problem. With this info at hand, the mahseer death is not unsettling at all, contrary to my earlier claim. But new set ups do need frequent monitoring and close watch and deaths in new setups are almost always suspicious and almost always have to do with water not being right, but not always of course.

Belly up doesn't mean a temp shock, you should have measured the water temp to arrive at this conclusion. It might have run out of oxygen or got poisoned by its own ammonia or merely too much stress from too long a shipment.

In this non-standard situation of belly up arrival, it is hard to say. I've done what you describe too in a few cases, panicked, skipped acclimation, and too lost the fishes I did it to. Perhaps if you had noted that the mahseer was still breathing, a gradual but quicker acclimation could have made a difference but this throwing darts in the dark.

GeorgeHaddaway15

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Crested Butte, Colorado
As some of you may know, I've had a happy, healthy Chinese wels catfish for over a month and a half now. As of 2 weeks ago, he stopped eating. I was feeding him worms and now I'm out of worms, so do you think he got addicted to worms? I just ordered a new batch of worms to see if that theory is true. I have tried cut fish so many times, which is what he was originally eating. Once he started to eat worms, he also started chasing around the mirror carp and sturgeon even though they are too big for him (at least I hope). I've even tried wriggling a piece of cut fish around in front of his face in my hand and also on light fishing line. He seems interested at first but then swims away rapidly, almost as if he's scared of it. It's really weird. Do you think the wriggling action of a nightcrawler was too irresistible for him and now he's addicted? I hope not because nightcrawlers are hard to get around here and expensive.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Fish most usually love worms, that's true.

I don't think it'd be too stubborn and hunger will get it to try other feeds. I'd keep offering... but what is the water temp now? If it is still in the 50-ies, I am not sure what to tell you as I've no knowledge or experience with keeping my fish at such low temps, apart from koi, which must not be fed at 55 F and lower.

I'd not worry about the abstaining from feed. Offer what you want it to take (if you believe / are reassured it needs to be fed at such low temps) and it will cave sooner or later.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

GeorgeHaddaway15

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Crested Butte, Colorado
I forgot to mention that I have been steadily increasing the water temp by removing the large fan that was on the pond. The temp is a little more acceptable now, it's at 62 degrees. I think the rise in temperatures might have stressed him out, even though I did it gradually. We'll see when the worms arrive if he eats them. If he doesn't, I'll just keep offering them as you said until he eventually caves.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I was speaking about offering the feed you want the fish to accept. You want to phase out the worms.

To test its health, you could offer it the worms but if or when the fish takes them, you might have to start the weaning over from the start again.

GeorgeHaddaway15

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2017
Crested Butte, Colorado
So,
The box of worms came today. About 200 of them, all over 3 inches. I offered the fish a worm and I was surprised to find that he declined it. Offered it again a few hours later and he declined it again. I've also noticed with the main basement lights off he chases around the other fish a lot more than with the light on. The pond itself doesn't have a light over it, I'm just talking about the basement lights. So when I turn them off, it's pretty much pitch black. He definitely goes into hunting mode when the lights are off. I ran a little experiment, I offered him worms with the lights off. He declined. This seems worrisome to me. What if the only thing he will accept is live, swimming food now? He caught my small albino channel catfish a few weeks ago and came very close to killing it. I managed to have it recover and now it's in a seperate tank, recovering from the scare of its life. I will attach a picture of the incident. What I'm asking is, what if him catching the much smaller catfish made him bloodthirsty? I mean, I've seen it happen with mammals. I know ferrets are a lot different than fish, but I'm just saying. I had a pet ferret a few years ago that was the sweetest thing. Once it got to my tree frog, it started killing or trying to kill the other animals in the household. First it started with the hamster, disembowled. Then it went for the 12 year old rabbit and the rabbit almost died. It would've if it had not been caught in the act. Just as we were about to get rid of it, It went for the small dog. Also almost killed it but we heard the squealing and managed to save the dog. Keep in mind the dog only weighs 4 pounds, he is a chihuahua. Ferrets are quite vicious animals. Similar to a pine marten which will take on bears and deer that are 200 times its size. Sorry for going down that rabbit hole, I was just trying to make a comparison. My point is, what if once the Chinese wels ate that first catfish, it awakened its natural instincts? I'm afraid that all it will eat now is live fish, which I definitely don't want it to do due to parasites and other bad stuff that could be in live minnows. I also tried the fishing line method and attached a frozen minnow to it and it was surprising that it didn't eat it. I think if I try again and move it around more I'll be able to see if my theory has any value to it. Sorry for the extremely long message.

IMG_0566.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store