Chocolate Cichlid Basics

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
True. Juvenile chocolate do look like oscar with their body shape, color and posture. Their widespread distrubtion in the Amazon river basin and water reqirements also mirrow oscar. But they don't grow as big, don't eat like a pig, and more timid than oscar. Old chocolate develops a big, steep forehead. Old oscar retains the juvenile small head and big eyes. It's hard to find any old oscar not affected by HITH desease. I don't know if chocolote is suceptible to HITH as I don't own one long enough to know.
I'm sorry, be it a given I don't know anything about these particular fish (choc cichlids), but.......The idea that it is hard to find any old Oscars without Hole-in-the-Head disease is simply false in my experience.

If anything I might say that, due to their popularity in the aquarium industry, and the general lack of knowledge regarding their adult size by many customers, the conditions any given Oscar endures are on average quite poor. This certainly means they'd be more likely to suffer from HITH disease, but it has nothing to do with the Oscar having a susceptibility to it. Countless Oscar's are bought as juveniles only to be returned as large fish placed into a tiny tank. If accepted by the store at all.

Curtis Rouse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2012
Central California
I've got a question for you chocolate lovers; why is it called a chocolate cichlid if they are green and red?

Sent from my mind to my fingers to my phone to the MFK servers to you

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I've got a question for you chocolate lovers; why is it called a chocolate cichlid if they are green and red?

Sent from my mind to my fingers to my phone to the MFK servers to you
My guess is because they also show a mottled brown pattern in addition to the green and red. Chocolates change colors constantly based on their mood so the green and red comes and goes. Also, H. coryphaenoides, the less common chocolate cichlid, pretty much keeps its chocolately brown color into adulthood.

Like most large SA cichlids, chocolates appreciate low nitrates and DOCs. Water changes are important. Like discus, keep the nitrates under 20 (preferably 10 or less) and you should be okay. They can be shy and pouty like oscars when you change things in their tank or when they're being picked on. They are not afraid to go after similarly shaped fish. Mine would harass one particular female severum to the point that I had to separate them.

I'm not sure how they'll do in your planted tank. They won't necessarily eat the plants (though they may) but will probably have fun ripping them all up and re-aquascaping. Mine would dig in sand. Most large SA cichlids are like this. Severums and Uaru will eat plants, but almost all the larger cichlids will dig them up and rearrange your substrate.

I kept my chocolate in pH 7.6 with a gH of about 7 and a kH of 5. So it's not super hard water but it does have a higher pH. The temperature ranged from 80 - 82F. I never had a problem. She mixed well with my other SA cichlids. Feed them a good quality pellet food (I used both Hikari Cichlid Gold and New Life Spectrum) and give them snacks occasionally (live redworms, frozen bloodworms or Mysis shrimp), but there's no need to feed them things like beefheart. (I don't feed beefheart to anything but discus and that's only because my discus are finicky about flakes and pellets. Even then, I rarely use it and instead go the frozen bloodworm/freeze-dried blackworm route.) You may also try a veggie pellet made with things like spirulina (I think Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 works) to round out their diet.

You will notice that they tend to sit nearly vertically sometimes, staring at the top of the tank. I'm not sure why they do this but I would guess they're waiting for a snack to fall into the tank. Maybe in the wild they wait for fruit/nuts/insects to drop down or something.

Here are a few pictures when it was in my 210 community:

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Ryansmith, you have some nice quality chocolate and super red severum. I wonder who is the boss. If your water is mildly hard and they do well, you gave me hope to try them out. I always thought that severum has similar water requirments as Discus, and won't do well in hard water. Do sevrum males get a big hump like chocolate?

Natimus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2013
Montana
Thanks for all of the help. I'm not too hung up on the plants. I'm basically looking to get into a different type of SA Cichlid. I'll let it dictate the tank style.

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
DSC05207.JPG
here are my chocolates they gt allittle rough with each other from time to time but are cool with other fish.
got more pics i will post them when i find them.
very easy to spawn mine spawn like every 3 months.

DSC03571.JPG

DSC03570.JPG

DSC05207.JPG

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
top pics is the parents(and a another female)
bottom pics of them when they were younger.

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
DSC03900.JPGDSC05191.JPGDSC05196.JPG
they are very easy to tak care of as stated before way easier than discus.
I have both discus and other cichlids and my other tanks are way easier than my discus tanks.

DSC03900.JPG

DSC05191.JPG

DSC05196.JPG

Reactions: ad88

rocky2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 1, 2010
india
great looking guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com