Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis)

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
My work supervisor gave me 13 golden mystery snails and 3 regular BNP juveniles. The snails are randomly distributed as are the BNP. I added one BNP to the 260 as it has a lot of brown diatom. The female choco was 7ft away when I introduced the BNP to the tank. She was there instantly and had it in her mouth. I figured it was over for the free BNP and was glad I hadn’t purchased it. She spit it out faster than she gobbled it up. :ROFL: It darted away under something and she gave up chasing.
One of my adult male bn settled in my 6 inch clown loach cave; he came back and discovered it there - i don't know exactly what happened but i never saw the bn again....

• Haha
Reactions: fishguy1978

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
My two Choc's focus their attention almost totally on the surface waiting for me to toss in the daily supply of live grasshoppers and crickets.
The Chocolates also ignor all the much smaller tankmates. They are truly gentle giants.
Btw, nice looking tank.

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
New question - will 2 to 4 chocolate work in my 550 with 7 festums; some small number of angels (currently 4); and a dozen very very active clown loaches (who are much happier in the 500 than they were in a 120); also 2 dozen serpae who will be safe as long as they stay away from the festum and the chocolate are young (yes my festums will eat serpae now and then).

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Should be. Especially if they grow out together. I have two in a 260 and the two juveniles growing out in a 55 with plans for them to join the pair.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
So my lfs just happened to have a handful of tiny 1" chocolates in last week for only $12.99 each. I couldn't resist and brought home a pair. I only have the 1 tank with a handful of peacocks and a yellow lab and a taiwan reef hap in it, but I've been on the fence with those guys anyway. So far they don't even acknowledge the chocs, will moniter closely and may be trading in those africans before long if anything starts going sideways. Very excited to be in the chocolate game, will keep you all posted...

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Also, I don't know what PH you are running at for your Africans, but if it's in line with their requirements, ie high, then it could be problematic long term for your chocs, which prefer softer water.

And, as mentioned by Stephen, chocs are pretty laid back, your Africans may stress them.

Both these issues need observing to give your chocs the best chance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store