Chocolate pair or Uaru pair for 150g?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Chocolates are a dime a dozen. I love H. temporalis but Uaru are not as common and as mentioned their breeding behaviors are a lot more fun. The fry will feed from the parents' slime coat as discus do. I have always loved Uaru so they would be my choice.

Though it might be fun to have a pair of each. A 6' 150 is plenty big enough for four cichlids with a bunch of small dithers like tetras. Uaru and Hypselecara often make good tankmates. ;)

Whatever you decide on, I'd definitely make sure to keep dithers. Heroine cichlid pairs can sometimes turn violent if there is a disagreement about eggs or fry, and I've had so many instances of males trying to murder females in breeding setups that I no longer keep pairs alone. I spawn them in tanks with dithers or community fish.

Reactions: jamntoast

rtague

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2009
new york
Chocolates are a dime a dozen. I love H. temporalis but Uaru are not as common and as mentioned their breeding behaviors are a lot more fun. The fry will feed from the parents' slime coat as discus do. I have always loved Uaru so they would be my choice.

Though it might be fun to have a pair of each. A 6' 150 is plenty big enough for four cichlids with a bunch of small dithers like tetras. Uaru and Hypselecara often make good tankmates. ;)

Whatever you decide on, I'd definitely make sure to keep dithers. Heroine cichlid pairs can sometimes turn violent if there is a disagreement about eggs or fry, and I've had so many instances of males trying to murder females in breeding setups that I no longer keep pairs alone. I spawn them in tanks with dithers or community fish.
How can you say no to that face?

View attachment 1271970
PH is 6.5 out of the tap.

rtague

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2009
new york

Thanks bud,great info.

Vukmir13

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2016
Parrish, Florida
I say temporalis only because I have 1 and he's great. Lots of fun, great eater, and quite the personality.

Reactions: monkeybike

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
i've kept both and i like the uaru a better, when breeding i found my uaru more defensive and i think they can do more damage when they do fight with something but i loved them. they just seemed to have so much more personality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store