Choosing filter socks

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
That's where I buy them as well.
Here is McMaster Carr link. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-filter-bags/=t2wjiu
McMaster Carr told me they only sell to businesses regardless of whether or not it is in the US or Canada? What's that all about? Sounds goofy. This was their email: "Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from businesses. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We are unable to provide a quotation or accept your orders."

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I get mine from Jehmco, along with pellets, glass drill bits, and bulkheads.
I like how they will tightly jam as much stuff as they can, to ship cheap, in a small box, priority mail.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
McMaster Carr told me they only sell to businesses regardless of whether or not it is in the US or Canada? What's that all about? Sounds goofy. This was their email: "Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from businesses. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We are unable to provide a quotation or accept your orders."
That's odd. I never represented myself as a business and placed an order last week. In fact this thread reminded me I needed to. To answer another question you had......100 micron socks do make a noticeable difference in clarity. Of course you have to change them more frequently. I used to get a month between changes with 200. Now I do it weekly. I use one of each so that I wear the old 200 out rather than pitching them. Still makes it clearer than both. 200 micron.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I've placed multiple personal orders with McMaster.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
That's odd. I never represented myself as a business and placed an order last week. In fact this thread reminded me I needed to. To answer another question you had......100 micron socks do make a noticeable difference in clarity. Of course you have to change them more frequently. I used to get a month between changes with 200. Now I do it weekly. I use one of each so that I wear the old 200 out rather than pitching them. Still makes it clearer than both. 200 micron.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
OK, strange...sure wish I had a US family member, life would be so much cheaper in the hobby! Still wondering if maybe the 100 can go on my low flow pipe and the 200 on my full syphon pipe. Might slow the clogging of the 100 while still providing extra clarity.

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
another question...can the sock partially lay on the bottom of the tank? All the 7" socks I find are listed as 16 1/2" but my smaller sump is only 12" tall. To reduce maintenance is seems to make sense to use 7" vs 4" socks, I have the width to go with the larger socks.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Get the bigger one as my sump isn't 32" tall and I use 32". It just fills up and bends to the side. When I get a full sock I will take a picture for you.
another question...can the sock partially lay on the bottom of the tank? All the 7" socks I find are listed as 16 1/2" but my smaller sump is only 12" tall. To reduce maintenance is seems to make sense to use 7" vs 4" socks, I have the width to go with the larger socks.

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Get the bigger one as my sump isn't 32" tall and I use 32". It just fills up and bends to the side. When I get a full sock I will take a picture for you.
a pic would be great. so you wouldn't worry about a 16 1/2" sock in a sump that is only 12" tall then. I can just space the 2 7" rings across the front to back measurement of 12".

My other sump will be a standard 75g and I think that means 20" tall, can't quite remember.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
For you filter sock users: 1) what brand/model would you recommend for durability and ease of use, material? I want something that will easily be thrown into the washing machine and won't fall apart after 10 washes. 2) is there a obviously noticeable difference in clarity with 100 vs 200 micron socks? I"m thinking 100 microns won't plug up as fast and I'm looking for efficiency but also low maintenance where possible 3) Rings easier to hang and change than draw strings? Was thinking of making a DIY acrylic sock support. 4) how do they measure when 'wet'? a 7 x 12 inch filter sock will not be 12 inches tall when wet will it? Or are those measurement accurate in-tank? Thanks
The socks don't really stretch when full. They back up once they are full.
I use the CPR aquatics sock it holder and love the4"x8" Purolator 200 micron sock it comes with. I will get about 5 days running before it backs up compared to about 3 days with the Aqueon 4"x12" socks.

http://www.amazon.com/CPR-SCKITM-Filter-holder-Micron/dp/B007HOFNAO

This is on my 75gal african tank so messy eaters, 29gal sump, ~600gph

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
The socks don't really stretch when full. They back up once they are full.
I use the CPR aquatics sock it holder and love the4"x8" Purolator 200 micron sock it comes with. I will get about 5 days running before it backs up compared to about 3 days with the Aqueon 4"x12" socks.

http://www.amazon.com/CPR-SCKITM-Filter-holder-Micron/dp/B007HOFNAO

This is on my 75gal african tank so messy eaters, 29gal sump, ~600gph
I think I would get about 10 mins out of a 4"x8" sock. Lol, I run 3 7x16 100 micron socks and get a 8-9 days out of them. I buy mine in bulk so they are cheap enough to throw away. Its way easier than washing them. ~$20 a month is what I paid for hob cartridges on my 55g, so if I can filter 300g of water stocked water stocked with CA/SA's and big Panaque species I'm alright with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store