Cichlid Body shapes ( What defines a "big" fish?")

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
my male jag and male dovii are about the same size, the jag is 1year older, my dovii female is half the males size and smaller than my jag female who is nearly the same as the male give or take an inch. the males are about 11". the dovii in size, activerty, and habbit demand a bigger tank, my jags on the other hand are not as active. the jags are more interested in each other, destroying the tank nesting all the time, the dovii like time apart. I find just looking at the fish in a tank will tell you if its too small, my jags are in a 4ft long 30" tall by 20" deep tank they look small in it, the dovii are in a 180g ( 6'x2'x2') and look small. but the current jag tank was what i grow my dovii out in and at 5" the dovii made that tank too small.

it has been said before on this forum that water volume is more important than actual tank size depending on the fish. but I also think the fish habit has a massive part to play (as is said above).

in terms of mass, the dovii is thicker set then the jag, but the jag looks bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store