Cichlid farm

tavydown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2012
boston
That's pretty much what we would do, I own and operate a electronic and medical repair company and I own the 41k sqft building it runs on. My tenant pays for mostly all of the utilities and I simply just want to throw together a few tanks for the pleasure of it. as for my clientele I would do mostly online sales and some locals, if I had extra I know a LFS that would probably take them for wholesale. Again for me it's not about the money it's about the hobby. My coworker and best friend are both interested in helping out so the time wouldn't take a lot of effort divided by three people, especially if I can add a drip system which is an easy job for my plumber

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Robulus153

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Greenville SC
This is similar to aquaponics, where people spend money on the setups and grow the food, however they don't have a big enough market. Find the market first and build the stock out that way. I vote tang's also as there are a ton of malawi people out there.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
I think this idea might do the opposite for me. :) I'd love to work at an aquarium though. I have no interest in the money making business side of things. Best of luck though!
Too true, when I used to work full time at the LFS I wouldnt do anything fish related at home but the weekly water change really sucked but you do get sick of constantly looking after fish 9am -8pm lol.

I think the trick is to breed things that are less common but have a market, then if that certain fish ever really picks up change over and never flood fish you will money =p a lot of the times someone breeds a rarer cichlid here ( we cant import any ) they will try sell all the babies to different LFS all over rather then sell 30 -40 or so, this way you can keep the price of the fish high. we had like 500 red tail GGs ( quite rare before ) now every shop from here to the other side of Aus has them 280$ now 150$. Its also much easier to care for a smaller amount of fish.

You could also look into shrimp, I know they are not that monster but down here the breeders make a killing 500-2000$ for a few shrimp! we have blues going for 100$ and yellows 10-15$ each and these little guys seem to reproduce at the speed of light lol your water has to be prefect but very good income.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
This is similar to aquaponics, where people spend money on the setups and grow the food, however they don't have a big enough market. Find the market first and build the stock out that way. I vote tang's also as there are a ton of malawi people out there.
aquaponics is a booming market, they were saying its one of the fastest growing markets here a few days ago.

Wish I had more space D:

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Take a ride down to Atlantis some Saturday, only day they are open to the public. They are a hatchery with 40,000 gallons of tanks. You will get to see how a large scale breeding facility is run. The run all their tanks with air powered sponge filters and under gravel filters.
Atlantis website. http://www.cichlids.net

Thewindsinger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2013
Norfolk
We ran a cichlid breeding fish room and sold alot of the fry over the net, surprisingly, the best sales were guppies which we had a self sufficient tank of that just kept breeding and breeding...:(

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I used to home brew beer in my garage. I made in my garage the best beer I've ever passed over my lips--about half the time. My friends and neighbors all agreed it was great beer. But, they had no clue that they were drinking authentic Hefe, Dopplebock, etc. None would pay 50-100 bucks for 5-10 gallons of it. And I would not have wanted to spend 20, 30, 40 hours a week making beer. There's a world of difference between a hobby and a job.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store